600,000 xbox360 consoles blocked 4 chipping!!

Microsoft and Sony sell their consoles at a loss, they make money by taking quite a large cut from each game sold (30% is one figure I have seen regularly quoted).

On PS1 it was $3 per disc, with a retail price of $40. It's nowhere near 30%. Not sure about new consoles but I doubt it's as high as 30%.

The retail shop itself usually takes more than anyone else in the chain.

Anyway, a moot point since MS and Sony do not set the retail price, the retailer/manufacturer does.

Which seems OK, until you try to log into Xbox Live to download the video codecs, and you find that it wont let you in. ;)

I guess you never heard of XBMC. The codecs are built into the media centre binary, no !Live connection required.

Edited by Magilla

Microsoft and Sony take a small cut as part of the disc duplication process. The actual store prices are set by the manufacturer of the game.

In the case of MW2, Activision set the retail price, not MS or Sony.

MS and Sony's cut isn't that small. About 8 quid per disc I believe.

There was an article in MCV recently about the supermarkets putting all the indies out of business. Some games (such as FIFA 10) were actually being sold at less than the store paid for them. A loss leader than nobody else can compete with, except other huge supermarkets.

I think it's probable that the same thing happened with COD:MW2.

Oh sorry I didn't realise saying stealing was bad means you're on a moral high horse

Wonder if those kicked off live now will go to PS3.

they will just buy another 360...and i am sure C4E will be working on a new solution :hihi:

C4E says..The clear culprit on the bannings is bad verifications through ABGX, or incorrect usage of ABGX

he is running 3 consoles on live with 1.61 and no bans on any console...

---

microsoft have a major problem now as anybody who buys a second hand console from shops

like gamestation/cex could be buying a banned console and that wont do down well..

wonder how many kids will be getting banned consoles for christmas this year?

Edited by highgreen

microsoft have a major problem now as anybody who buys a second hand console from shops

like gamestation/cex could be buying a banned console and that wont do down well.. wonder how many kids will be getting banned consoles for christmas this year?

It's not M$ problem, it's "shops like gamestation/cex" problem: it's up to them to take in & check banned consoles, and up to them to supply goods fit for purpose (or not, they can always advertise clearly a 2nd hand is banned & sell it as such) to their customers. Edited by L00b

yes but if shops are not buying in second hand consoles due to all the time wasted checking if they are banned it will reduce the amount of games sold in shops as plenty of people buy second hand consoles...

yes but if shops are not buying in second hand consoles due to all the time wasted checking if they are banned it will reduce the amount of games sold in shops as plenty of people buy second hand consoles...
Not at all. The demand stays the same (still as many punters wanting boxes).

It just means shops will sell less 2nd hand consoles, or create sub-markets: Live-enabled 2nd hand xboxes with a premium value, Live-banned 2nd hand xboxes with a lower value. And/or punters will likely buy more consoles off places like the FS section here if there's less supply from shops. The risk, as usual, is on retailers and publishers, not MS.

If it wasn't for the success of Live and the Live banning issue, you could end up with a situation like 2nd hand PSPs, where ready-CFW'd PSPs routinely sell faster and for much more than non-CFW'd PSPs.

Edited by L00b

In case anyone hasn't noticed, games companies are laying off people left right and centre due to dwindling sales (EA laid off 1500 workers yesterday including the entire Command and Conquer team).

Sad to hear that people are losing their jobs, but maybe if EA* produced something innovative rather than churning out series after series of "updates"** they might not have to cut jobs.

*EA is biggest culprit, but it most publishers are guilty of resting on their laurels.

**Hello FIFA [insert year]. Hello NBA Live [insert year]. Hello Tiger Woods PGA [insert year]. Repeat ad nauseum.

Technically, you are correct. Factually, I don't think you are: the "fair use" defense (well, what amounts to it in the UK) grounded in user-led freeware and OS porting developments on closed platforms, has effectively been killed outright by the CA's ratio decidendi. Were the Higgs case to reach the CA now, it's a very safe bet it would have the exact same outcome as the Gillham case.

The sum of it is, unless Gillham goes to the HoL (and the HoL overturns the CA's Decision), this Decision is the precedent of highest persuasive value currently, and therefore sets the tone where modchips are concerned: they are illegal and commercial gains surrounding them amount to money laundering.

EDIT - I'll be quick to dispel any responsibility in the closing of that other thread, I just posted the abridged commentary to the new decision for Ghozer's info :D

EDIT - some numbers for Agrajag

http://www.edge-online.com/news/ps3-manufacturing-costs-down-70-per-cent-report

http://www.techspot.com/news/23612-microsoft-makes-tiny-profit-on-xbox-360-hardware.html

If only we had a thread where we could discuss it further, eh...

Sad to hear that people are losing their jobs, but maybe if EA* produced something innovative rather than churning out series after series of "updates"** they might not have to cut jobs.

*EA is biggest culprit, but it most publishers are guilty of resting on their laurels.

**Hello FIFA [insert year]. Hello NBA Live [insert year]. Hello Tiger Woods PGA [insert year]. Repeat ad nauseum.

Can you use 'its just an update' as justification for not paying for a license? (Purdy, it's not stealing, theft is taking something with the intent to permanently deprive the owner, it's only stealing if you walk into the shop and lift the DVD).

microsoft have a major problem now as anybody who buys a second hand console from shops like gamestation/cex could be buying a banned console and that wont do down well..

Legally, the person who sold the console to the store without informing them it was not fit for purpose has the problem. They are the ones who have a problem.

All the stores will do is sue the person who sold them the banned console to get their money back (and costs).

Can you use 'its just an update' as justification for not paying for a license?

No (I've never pirated a game)... but i can use it as justification for not buying the new version.

I don't see the point of buying, say, FIFA '10 if i already had FIFA '09. But then maybe i'm the wrong demographic for that example.