Private Number Plates

I dont want to hijack the thread or anything, but my partner and I got a second hand car a few months ago and it has personalised plates, but they mean nothing to us. Is there any way of us getting rid of those and just getting normal plates for it again? The lady who had the car before us said they were on it when she got it too and didnt have the originals =s

You need to go to the DVLA office, have the number put on retention so you can sell it or give it up if the retention period lapses and get the vehicles original, date related mark back.

Ouch, the closest I have found is GH02 ERS - and that's £979, and thats just for the Certificate of Entitlement, AND that's only valid for 12 months :o, and then you have to re-new it every 12 months for a 'small' fee (no idea how much this is, but its the same for all private plates)

Do you mean the Retention Certificate Ghozer?

They are 'ownership' and are maintained whilst the plate isnt actually on a vehicle, once you have a vehicle you want to put the number on, you pay an assignment fee to transfer it.

Really never understood the concept..

Like any car modification it stems from feelings of insecurity and inadequacy. People who have personalised number plates should be either mocked or pitied!

Exactly...which is why i've never understood the concept..:D
Some people choose to spend their money on G-Star clothing and others take the p!sh out of them. Each to their own.

I agree, whats the use? The number is already exclusive to you then why market it?

Like any car modification it stems from feelings of insecurity and inadequacy. People who have personalised number plates should be either mocked or pitied!

Or, people who have personal number plates can afford them.

How do you feel about the Queen, Alan Sugar, Steve Davis, Jimmy Tarbuck, Wayne Rooney, Steve jobs etc? Do you mock or pity them?

If people want to buy a personal number plate or a t-shirt with a slogan on it, it makes no difference to YOUR life. You just sound jealous.

I couldn't afford to get one that said MHOUSES 24.

So instead I changed my name by deed poll to F2 RGT.

(courtesy of Viz, I think?)

Ouch, the closest I have found is GH02 ERS - and that's £979, and thats just for the Certificate of Entitlement, AND that's only valid for 12 months :o, and then you have to re-new it every 12 months for a 'small' fee (no idea how much this is, but its the same for all private plates)

Only if you don't have it on a car. My daughter has to pay the annual fee for hers as it isn't on a car, the other two are on cars and no fees(except VED)

Some people may say Cigarettes and alcohol are a waste of money. Whatever floats your boat I suppose.

Not a fan of 'select' number plates on cars, which are more often than not just to boost the ego of their driver, but I can appreciate the value of select plates on commercial vehicles, where they can be used to support and promote company branding etc. I especially like this use on the vehicles of Pimlico Plumbers in London, where each of their vans carries a plate relating to water.

Edited by kt530

I saw a porsche earlier in town and it said G unit on the reg plate, i expected to see some sort of 50 cent lookalike or something.

It was a white business man who looked rather like mr bean, i had to have a giggle at that.

Porsche and Private Number plates - sounds like more of 'C' Unit to me....

DVLA private number plates = just another stealth tax. What you get bears no relation to the production cost.

You are paying for your ego.

DVLA private number plates = just another stealth tax. What you get bears no relation to the production cost.

You are paying for your ego.

You mean like beer, petrol or fags?