Caribbean restaurants in Sheffield - Megathread

There are a couple of take out type places scattered around - one on London Road, one on the Wicker (Marcias) and one on Abbeydale road (Yabba)

Sit down restaurants - not a lot I'm afraid. Caught a glimpse of a new place behing Waitrose off Londn Road, but not sure what type of restaurant it is. If you are keen, there is an award winning restaurant in Huddersfield - Discovery Bay.

Carribean Avenue next to the Everest restuarant at heeley bottom. very nice food , welcoming at reasonable prices.

There's Dunn's River at Hunters Bar. It's relatively new and I know nothing about it apart from it's Jamaican food.

london road Carrabian spice fantastic food

Barry's Bar on London road. Don't be deceived by the appearance of the pub. Its the best Caribbean food I've tasted in a long while.

Anyone know a good caribbean restaurant in Seffield?

No I don't.

I don't think there is one. Not taking anything away from the recommendation above but I'm sorry, Bishop's Coffee House is not a Carribean restaurant.

There used to be a "decent" one in Sheffield called "Calabash" - but that closed down years ago and is now a "decent" tepannyaki restaurant (on London road).

More recently we've seen the opening of "Dunn's River" on Hunter's Bar roundabout. Every time I drive past recently it's shut - so I assume that has failed as well.

There was a place on Glossop Road called UK Mama or something but that was awful - don't know if it's still going.

I heard Barry's Bar on London road does authentic Carribean food. It looks a right dive of a place and I'm not sure I'd want to consider that as an evening out dining venue - but if you're in your scruffs and don't mind casual it could be worth a shot?

I'm afraid Carribean food isn't quite so widely appreciated as some other cuisines and you'll struggle to find a good one here I think.

But do tell me if different?

I don't think there is one. Not taking anything away from the recommendation above but I'm sorry, Bishop's Coffee House is not a Carribean restaurant.

You are right, we are not a Caribbean restaurant, but we do Caribbean food.

If you try us on a Friday you will probably agree.

If the chef was born in the Caribbean, and the recipe is Caribbean then I hope we can call it that.

Looking forward to seeing you all there on a Friday, and thanks for the recommendation.

I have noticed before that you're very good at promoting yourselves on here.

The birthplace of the chef is not so important as the training they have received.

I think the ingredients are also important.

You can call it whatever you want - but I think there's a big difference between an authentic Carribean restaurant and a coffee house/bistro that does occasionally put on a few Carribean dishes.

That's not to say that you don't do a good job of it - but the OP is asking if there is a good Carribean restaurant in this city - and the answer is no, there isn't.

Edited by DerbyTup

There is a new one opening/opened on Abbeydale Road just after Rude Shipyard on your left as your heading out of town. I have seen them doing some work, putting signs up etc over the last week and think they are probably open now. Will be trying it out soon but till then no idea if it is good or not.

Hopefully they'll try and add a few more dishes than the usual jerk chicken, saltfish and ackee, curried mutton standards. Not that there's anything wrong with these, it's just that I'm sure people in the Caribbean area eat more than a handful of dishes. With a side of fried plantain, of course.