Council tax rebate?

I am self employed and it is not going well. I am living in a house for 6 months and then I will be moving back home. Currently I pay 75% of the council tax as I live with students. I have paid the council tax because I got a court summons (i.e £79 ish fine) for paying late. How much will I have to earn before I wont get help with the council tax? Currently I am living of my savings (£3k) and some money in my current account (£3k). I have got a form to fill out and apparently I will need to provide bank statements as well.

Beckysheff, why not take details of your income and savings down to First Point (if you live in Sheffield) and go through things with one of the Housing Benefits staff. If you can be there when it opens at 8.30 in the morning you should be seen quite quickly. You could go to the CAB, but you might have to wait for an appointment, and it will slow things down.

Edited by Ms Macbeth
prev post removed, now irrelevant

oh this is so rubbish I should have calimed for councint tax benefit in june when i first moved but no one told me..... so thanks sheffield >blank< council as i have paid for £450 of council tax bill....

Edited by Ms Macbeth
removed masked swearing

oh this is so rubbish I should have calimed for councint tax benefit in june when i first moved but no one told me..... so thanks sheffield >blank< council as i have paid for £450 of council tax bill....

Who would have known your circumstances? The council just send out the bills, its up to us as individuals to make the relevant enquiries. Sounds harsh, but thats how it is.

so why should i get back payment? i am self employed and it has not been a great year.... i prob would earn more on the dole, but instead i dont cliaim any benefits so why should i not be able to get back dated council tax help.

Actually dependent on your circumstances the council will always consider a backdate. BUT you need a justifiable reason and ignorance of the system will not be accepted as a reason to consider a backdate.

so why should i get back payment? i am self employed and it has not been a great year.... i prob would earn more on the dole, but instead i dont cliaim any benefits so why should i not be able to get back dated council tax help.

There's a good chance you wouldn't get benefits either, being self employed. You'd only qualify for JSA Income based as JSA contributions is based on past Class 1 NI contributions and it all depends which year they decide to calculate from. As stated elsewhere, you may be entitled to back dated council tax assistance depending on your circumstances.

Well there are plenty of valid reasons, severe illness, backed up by your doctor, or if you had been involved in some sort of appeal with the DWP for a qualifying benefit then they will backdate up to 12 months. It is always best to apply and ask for back date putting your reasons for not applying sooner...but they will check up your reasons and as I say not knowing you could claim would not be considered a good enough reason.