Toll Cottage on Gleadless Road

Can anyone tell me the exact location of the bungalow on Gleadless Road that had the toll charges on a little board next to the door please?

I remember it in about 1964 but memory plays tricks and I look for it's location when I drive to Gleadless Town End

Ta

I remember if you went down the path at myrtle springs the toll gate was at the bottom,when turning left onto gleadless rd there was an orchard on the left hand side .

Can anyone tell me the exact location of the bungalow on Gleadless Road that had the toll charges on a little board next to the door please?

I remember it in about 1964 but memory plays tricks and I look for it's location when I drive to Gleadless Town End

Ta

It is sixty years since I saw the bungalow you mentioned, so many changes have probably been made in that area.

If you drive the full length of Gleadless Road going towards Gleadless Town End you will drive up a very steep hill.I am almost certain that the bungalow was at the brow of the hill on your left.If the stone wall is still there you will see a gap in the wall with a chain across.If all that area has been changed, the brow of the only steep hill on Gleadless road is you best bet.

Ta

Before my time but I lived around there for years.

Here's a picture of the toll board, in case you don't have it. :)

Edit: Here's a pic of the toll cottage too!

There's are several pics on picturesheffield if you search for "Myrtle_Springs_Toll_Bar".

Shame it's no longer there, I'd have liked to have seen it. From Antijammer's description it sounds like it was a bit further up from the quarry, near where Barry with the mobile shop lives/lived.

Edited by segasonic
More info.

Many thanks Segasonic

My teacher, when I was 9 and at Rollestone County, sent me up to ask if the school could have the toll board. We didn't get it though

Many thanks Segasonic

My teacher, when I was 9 and at Rollestone County, sent me up to ask if the school could have the toll board. We didn't get it though

I wonder if it still exists somewhere? :)

Absolutely amazing that the chain is still there. We used to walk on Hurlfield road and watch the old lady sitting on a chair at the side of it. When she went inside we used to duck under the chain and run, to avoid paying the halfpenny. This must have been say 75 years ago. I've mentioned this so many times in recent years and thought that all signs of it must have been obliterated by now, so thanks everyone. Feeling tempted to have a walk round there. This is amongst my earliest childhood memories. P.S. Can anyone tell me if its still possible to walk from Hurlfield road(say where the new Spring Academy is) thro' this area and come out on Gleadless road as we used to do 75 years ago?. Many thanks.

Edited by JOGI