JobcentrePlus - Complete Joke!

See where your coming from but we should never feel grateful for picking up any sort of benefit, if legally your entitled then theres no need to kiss JC's bottom.

Secondly, the people down the jobcentre are customers and should be treated as such, not as second class citizens- if this were to happen we would have a more motivated workforce. The help for the unemployed is virtually non-existant, we need more training schemes and better guidance.

Thirdly, we should spare a though for the man / woman thats worked for years in a trade or profession only to be made redundant. There life, self-esteem and dignity all take a hit. I would never demand they go and work in mcdonalds just to have a job.

The majority of people arent lazy and unmotivated, the systems all wrong and it seems to suck people into a black hole.

yeh, i understand what you mean.

I probably came across more nieve than I hoped to in my last post. I was mainly making a point that people should see the job centre and allowance as something they shouldn't abuse. In lots of other countries they dont have this "luxury" and their unemployment is not as high as here, because they HAVE to work, rather than CHOOSE to.

I think its great that we have this choice, and your right - a guy who would be classed as experienced and/or qualified shouldn't HAVE to work in an area that isn't in their field. However, if there are jobs, they should be taken. Even if its just for a year or 2 while the economy gets sorted.

These were my main points!

So far as self esteem etc. - trust me, you dont get any more self esteem by going to the job centre every 2 weeks. I am not currently working in my field, but i am working! I understand that it is a place holder until more becomes available and I feel good after working. Rather than not feeling brilliant when getting JSA every 2 weeks. Thats just me though!

Edited by Youshless

I completely understand your point of view Youshless, but people with experience in one field not going into another because they only want a job in a certain sector isn't the problem, it's all these employers that won't accept anyone without experience - especially in this current economy.

Answer me this employers: If you won't employ someone without experience, how will they acquire experience to begin with?

Aye, like you I'm a graduate but have had to get temp work or not chosen occupation in the not too distant past. Although its not ideal its better than standing in a queue for hand outs. Also done fair share of work experience for free.

We have the right attitude, I'm just concerned for other people that feel trampled on and deflated by the whole situation as seems to be the case too often these days.

If you look at scandanavian countries like Sweden and Norway they have the right idea. Unemployment is super low yet they're benefit system is much better. Why cant we be like that?

Edited by TJC1
stuff

I completely understand your point of view Youshless, but people with experience in one field not going into another because they only want a job in a certain sector isn't the problem, it's all these employers that won't accept anyone without experience - especially in this current economy.

Answer me this employers: If you won't employ someone without experience, how will they acquire experience to begin with?

absolutely, this is my problem!

I have 1 1/2 years experience, but they want more - yet no one will give me a chance to get more lol - i either do voluntary or get lucky

and this goverment says its helping people unemployed instead of the banks been helped out they should help thier own people . The goverment is a joke

and this goverment says its helping people unemployed instead of the banks been helped out they should help thier own people . The goverment is a joke

I sense a new thread/topic coming lol

all jokes aside however, you are 100% right!

we live in a world that praises education and a career, yet doesn't support it with the same energy. A degree is a piece of paper that says i am qualified to do a specific job, yet those jobs are unavailable, and so it continues.

We need to stand up and make a noise, because the more uneducated and ignorant we become - the easier it will be for the government to take advantage.

I hate it when the job centre plus website ads don't give the details of the company and you have to ring the job centre to request this because they ask such pointless questions.

Job Centre: Do you have the required qualifications for this job?

me: The advert doesn't say what qualifications you need.

JC: Well do you think you're qualified for it.

me: Yes, that's why I want to apply for it.

JC: Well what qualifications do you have?

me: (list my qualifications) are those the ones I need?

JC: I don't know. Erm, well are you an ambitious person who has a lively approach to.... (then continues to read me the entire advert off their website)

aaarrrggghhh

I hate it when the job centre plus website ads don't give the details of the company and you have to ring the job centre to request this because they ask such pointless questions.

Job Centre: Do you have the required qualifications for this job?

me: The advert doesn't say what qualifications you need.

JC: Well do you think you're qualified for it.

me: Yes, that's why I want to apply for it.

JC: Well what qualifications do you have?

me: (list my qualifications) are those the ones I need?

JC: I don't know. Erm, well are you an ambitious person who has a lively approach to.... (then continues to read me the entire advert off their website)

aaarrrggghhh

True, and how is this getting Businesses the right people too?. This system doesnt seem to help individuals or organisations.

Most of the jobs that are out on the market at the moment you dont need qualifications for, its all about experience. Alot of the people that go to university have got a degree yet cant get a job because they havent got any experience within a work environment.

To be honest , I think uni can be a waste of money and time for some people, I left after a year. For what I want to do I do not need a degree for... and for what I am doing now I realise this.

Most of the jobs that are out on the market at the moment you dont need qualifications for, its all about experience. Alot of the people that go to university have got a degree yet cant get a job because they havent got any experience within a work environment.

To be honest , I think uni can be a waste of money and time for some people, I left after a year. For what I want to do I do not need a degree for... and for what I am doing now I realise this.

yes, it can feel like university was a waste. But the experience was good, and even if the degree isn't worth as much as previously hoped, the experience of understanding this is priceless! Yet I don't believe it is totally pointless, I just think that in a time like this, jobs are generally hard to come by anyway!

Each to their own, the saying - its not what you know but who you know can often be very true!

Its horses for courses, for some jobs a degree is the absolute minimum and for all professional jobs having a degree sets you apart from those that havent. Saying that is it worth getting into 25k worth of debt for?

All that considered I'd rather employ someone enthusiastic without a degree but a couple of years solid experience over a fresh graduate anyday of the week.

Edited by TJC1
extra