The old Hallam Towers Hotel

phoebe23

Read recently in the Telegraph that plans had been passed to restructure the old Hallam Towers Hotel into appartments, with some houses in the grounds. Anyone know when the work is due to start?

No idea realy but its about time some use was put to the "white elephant".

I thought that part of the reason the hotel was 'abandoned' originally was that a substantial amount of asbestos was discoverd in the fabric of the building while some renovation work was being carried out. I'd read somewhere a long while back that the prohibitive cost of dealing with the contamination was what had put anyone else off subsequently acquiring and redeveloping the site. Assuming that this was the reason, and that it's not likely to have disappeared in the meantime, it rather begs the question of how it will be dealt with if they do turn the core structure into apartments.

Assuming that this was the reason, and that it's not likely to have disappeared in the meantime, it rather begs the question of how it will be dealt with if they do turn the core structure into apartments.

Possibly in the same way that they are dealing with it in the Arts Tower..?

I thought that part of the reason the hotel was 'abandoned' originally was that a substantial amount of asbestos was discoverd in the fabric of the building while some renovation work was being carried out. I'd read somewhere a long while back that the prohibitive cost of dealing with the contamination was what had put anyone else off subsequently acquiring and redeveloping the site. Assuming that this was the reason, and that it's not likely to have disappeared in the meantime, it rather begs the question of how it will be dealt with if they do turn the core structure into apartments.

Maybe the slowly rising price of apartments means that doing the project is becoming viable again- something needs to happen to be honest- it totally ruins the view out of my lounge window!!!

• 4 months later...

Archived