Firefox or Internet Explorer

Which browser do you use?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Which browser do you use?

• Yes I use firefox and it is the greatest browser ever made
    • I use internet explorer, but i am scared of change
    • I use a different browser all together eg Opera

i have firefox open 6 hours a night, all day saturdays and sundays, not sure how much resources it uses, but i only really get slow down when using azureous......its only really then when i minimise / maximise firefox it takes a while to do its thing

just had a look in task manager, tells me firefox is using 35mb?? i think, first time ive used the memory usage section in there

and thats with azureous going too

Originally posted by t020

No, the point is that Firefox has a few holes *discovered so far*, IE has hundreds *discovered so far*. Now that Firefox is becoming increasingly popular, get ready for more and more holes to be discovered by the hackers.

and IE will go up too, its not one way you know

and just because hackers might look more for them in firefox cos its becoming more popular DOESNT mean theyll find any, it depends on how well made the software is, you cant find holes in something without holes.

plus as already been said, firefox is open source which allows holes to be plugged quicker than IE's

Originally posted by melthebell

and IE will go up too, its not one way you know

and just because hackers might look more for them in firefox cos its becoming more popular DOESNT mean theyll find any, it depends on how well made the software is, you cant find holes in something without holes.

plus as already been said, firefox is open source which allows holes to be plugged quicker than IE's

Time will tell, but judging by the memory leak issue that some people experience the software can't be that well made. I suspect the holes in IE are probably all discovered now too.

Originally posted by t020

I suspect the holes in IE are probably all discovered now too.

:hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: I never had you down as a comedien t020 :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

Just think... No more critical updates from M$

Originally posted by DanSumption

I think somebody asked what the usage figures were for each browser. According to this article, Firefox is gaining on IE but still only has 8.71% compared to 86.56%.

cos idiots still think............ooh firefox has a couple of issues, better stick with IE (forgetting that IE has a milion more issues)

Have a look at this link, which lists IE vulnerabilities, and see how many of them are listed as "unpatched" (uncluding some going back to 2003!). Most of them aren't *that* serious, but this is just the vulnerabilities known to this one security company. Bear in mind that ActiveX issues can allow your computer to be affected just by visiting a website (you don't have to download anything, run anything, click on anything or agree to any options), and I don't think it's over-paranoid to be a little worried. Granted, a good firewall/antivirus/antispyware setup will help with most of these, but would it not be nice to not *need* all these things with a properly written system?

Remember that the best spyware programs wouldn't be the ones that distracted you with annoying popups, they would be the ones that just sat there silently, passing your credit cards on to someone. One good thing about the spyware explosion is that rather than people making malicious programs to destroy computers, the market economy means they are better off writing exploits to generate advertising or control machines for spam! Anyone who has used computers a few years will think back to the days of viruses which for example wiped your hard drive the instant you got them :)

Fireworks is indeed not a perfect alternative, but it's an awful lot better - you can honestly say you are happy with IE having 30% of 67 vulnerabilities currently unpatched? For anyone saying that it's purely its lack of use that means its lack of attacks, think about Apache vs IIS. There has been a long history of open-source coders fixing issues within hours, whereas Microsoft generally takes several weeks (they talk about the long delays in this article.

Personally, I absolutely avoid using anything which doesn't support tabbed browsing. I also use Opera for the nicest browsing "experience" I've tried.

Originally posted by rich951

Have a look at this link, which lists IE vulnerabilities, and see how many of them are listed as "unpatched" (uncluding some going back to 2003!). Most of them aren't *that* serious, but this is just the vulnerabilities known to this one security company. Bear in mind that ActiveX issues can allow your computer to be affected just by visiting a website (you don't have to download anything, run anything, click on anything or agree to any options), and I don't think it's over-paranoid to be a little worried. Granted, a good firewall/antivirus/antispyware setup will help with most of these, but would it not be nice to not *need* all these things with a properly written system?

zactly

im security concious and have all the right gear, but when i was using IE i got a dialler, got past my firewall AND AV un noticed, i only noticed when my dial up connection stopped and re dialed, i looked and the number had changed.......took ages to get off and messed up my connection for a time...........all by just visiting a site and helpful IE with its active x shall run automatically attitude let it through unhindered, not chosen by me, thats the main reason i went straight to firefox cos active x doesnt run automatically, also easier to enable / disable java / javascript

Originally posted by rich951

Anyone who has used computers a few years will think back to the days of viruses which for example wiped your hard drive the instant you got them :)

Oooohh, what fun!

Installing SW from 7 floppy disks, 10 mins later, dead PC:thumbsup:.

Originally posted by melthebell

cos idiots still think............ooh firefox has a couple of issues, better stick with IE (forgetting that IE has a milion more issues)

Most "idiots" actually think "Firefox? IE? What the hell are you talking about, is that some kind of secret code? I just use the stuff on my computer".

Then there are a small number of "idiots", such as myself, who as I've already explained would like to use Firefox more but would be unable to visit some of their favourite sites if they did so.

Originally posted by DanSumption

Most "idiots" actually think "Firefox? IE? What the hell are you talking about, is that some kind of secret code? I just use the stuff on my computer".

Then there are a small number of "idiots", such as myself, who as I've already explained would like to use Firefox more but would be unable to visit some of their favourite sites if they did so.

then you use IE for the "few" sites you cant use it on, a fews better than all :)

personally i aint found that many i need to access but cant with firefox

IE is the only browser that does [b[not[/b] support 8-bit transparency in 24bit png files.

So a design like this http://www.madmanners.co.uk/newpublichtml/ works well in opera and FF, but looks ****e in IE.

I do wish the people at IE would catch up with the rest of the world.

Ho Hum.