Firefox or Internet Explorer

Which browser do you use?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Which browser do you use?

• Yes I use firefox and it is the greatest browser ever made
    • I use internet explorer, but i am scared of change
    • I use a different browser all together eg Opera

Originally posted by spyro2000

IE does the job for me and always has done, never had any problems. I havent tried FF, and dont plan to, it may be better I dont know, but IMO it if aint broken then why fix it.

Exactly what MS say about IE, but they too fail to mention that it is actually broke. It's a bit like driving round in a car with no locks that doesn't need a key to start and saying it's never been stolen so it must be secure.

Originally posted by Lurch

It's a bit like driving round in a car with no locks that doesn't need a key to start and saying it's never been stolen so it must be secure.

Nice analogy there:thumbsup:;).

Originally posted by rich951

Opera here! (I try to like Firefox, but it just doesn't "feel" as slick, plus it takes about 100 extensions to get it anywhere like how I like it :))

For those people saying "why bother changing from IE?", remember that you can get infected with spyware and viruses just by visiting certain websites! You don't have to click to install anything, and being up to date on patches is no guarantee on safety, there are serious IE security issues that have existed (and been known about) for months that are not fixed...

Opera always seems bloated, with the mail and all the other crap, like nutscrape and the mozilla suite used to do.

Joel

Originally posted by Joelc

Opera always seems bloated, with the mail and all the other crap, like nutscrape and the mozilla suite used to do.

Joel

Bloated in terms of features maybe... I just did a comparison, 3.7MB to download Opera compared to 4.7MB for firefox (default Windows installations). I must admit I'd be happy without some of the features like mail as I never use them, but it would be pointless to worry about the megabyte of hd space they take up! :) You can also turn off all the toolbars so I wouldn't actually know what was there apart from the browser element without researching it... The real crunch point for me (that I totally forgot about earlier) is the cached rendering when you click Back - every other browser drives me mad with how slow it is!

An example of where Firefox annoys me: have three tabs running. Click on the first one. Then click on the third one. Close the current (third) one. Is there a way via the options to stop it then bringing up tab 2? (ie it doesn't remember the order you were viewing them in) This might seem trivial, but when there are a dozen things like this that Opera does "right", it suits me much better - and I realise it's my definition of "right"! ;) (the other two main ones, that you need an extension to have the focus on new tabs when you open them, and another extension to be able to move tabs around. Someone may find options to replicate this hidden away, but I spent a while looking and couldn't, which is a fault in itself if they are there!)

Opera all the way

loads pages faster than firefox / ie,

although isnt free the ads arent intrusive and i actually bought it anyway.

I agree with t020(didnt thought id ever say that :S ) and firefox loads pages really annoyingly.

Opera is currently using 22mb RAM, ive had it open since at least midday so no memory leaks there and I love the fact i get all my transfers sitting just there

<-------

(I download A LOT)

and the fully customisable interface is wonderful too.

One complaint: since version 8.0 my computer has had real issues with operas cache.

Every time it checks the cache it grinds to a halt for a few seconds.

Reducing cache to 5 mb helped but its a bit irritating (as I only browse a couple of sites regularly)

think it was something to do with defragging disk though so *shrug*

and the mail client incidentally is fantastic., and actually built into the browser (definately a plus) - id also like to remind firefox users that opera invented tabbed browsing (ok i might be making that up) but certainly does it much better!

Originally posted by spyro2000

IE does the job for me and always has done, never had any problems. I havent tried FF, and dont plan to, it may be better I dont know, but IMO it if aint broken then why fix it.

and thats why you have a thousand security holes letting dialers, hackers, viruses and other exploits through without having to click on them..............instead of installing firefox and having both to choose from (IE just incase a website doesnt like firefox) and having 1 or 2 problems / holes

Can we have an option for "I'd like to use Firefox, but it doesn't do the job for me so I still have to make do with IE most of the time"? (For more specifics, see my many posts here)

Also, what about Safari? I use that a lot of the time now.

Don't suppose anyone reading this has access to the forum logs showing browser types (and other such info)? :) I'd be interested to see a break-down of how SF compares to other sites I know the stats for...

OK, just to throw a spanner in the works, Im using firefox for web development, konqueror on my main desktop at home, and on my old laptop with bugger all processor power I use elinks [http://elinks.or.cz/]

elinks is actually becoming more and more fun the more I learn about it. No chance of it taking on IE and the like though!

I use FF for web dev, as it renders pages properly, with do weird gaps, and no silly image spacing. I also like to have lynx installed for emergancies.

Joel

Another vote for Firefox here :thumbsup:

What memory leak are you all talking about? A new one on me :?

Mine is running at 53MB RAM at the min. Quite a lot, yes, but then again it's doing a lot of work.

rich591: The tabbed preferences you talk about are switched off by default for some reason in Firefox?

My Tips and Tricks page will explain how to enable this function :)

Originally posted by Lurch

Exactly what MS say about IE, but they too fail to mention that it is actually broke. It's a bit like driving round in a car with no locks that doesn't need a key to start and saying it's never been stolen so it must be secure.

Exactly! :thumbsup:

Originally posted by Carl_Malibu

and the mail client incidentally is fantastic., and actually built into the browser (definately a plus) - id also like to remind firefox users that opera invented tabbed browsing (ok i might be making that up) but certainly does it much better!

Can't agree with that i'm afraid :( See explanation above.

I would like to add that i do actually like Opera. I use it from time to time. It's just a pity it doesn't work properly on some forums. More ways to speed it up would be nice too :rolleyes:

Originally posted by vidster

Another vote for Firefox here :thumbsup:

What memory leak are you all talking about? A new one on me :?

Mine is running at 53MB RAM at the min. Quite a lot, yes, but then again it's doing a lot of work.

53mb is a lot for a browser anyway, but keep it open and keep browsing lots of sites and it just builds up and up. It's very inefficient.