Firefox or Internet Explorer

Which browser do you use?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Which browser do you use?

• Yes I use firefox and it is the greatest browser ever made
    • I use internet explorer, but i am scared of change
    • I use a different browser all together eg Opera

I prefer to design for my audience. I have a web application which is used by about 30 people. Of these, 2 of them don't use IE. One uses konquerer and the other firefox. The rest all use versions of IE. Therefore, the app is designed around IE's feature set, and a warning is produced if anyone tries to log in with a different browser [it doesn't stop them though - I've successfully logged in with my nokia phone] stating that the browser they are using is not supported by the application.

98% of the code passes the W3C validation parsers, from memory most of the errors are caused by the use of align="absmiddle". From testing with firefox, I have removed all of the functional errors, but I am not going to spend a week sorting minor display errors out for 8% of my users. At the end of the day, for FF users it doesn't look quite as nice, but it still works.

Strict doctypes don't help all that much either, as the main issues between the current versions of IE and FF are through different interpretations of the specs, with both browsers being compliant but creating a different output.

On the other hand, for publicly facing websites, I pay more attention to Firefox, and will try and fix all display issues, but with IE the by far most likely browser to visit, I don't really care which browser is wrong or not. Until the IE market share goes below 50%, I will definately continue to design for IE, then fix for FF. Who are we designing for? The people who visit the websites, or the browser manufacturers?

I've used Internet Explorer for years with NO problems, I have tried other browsers such as Firefox, and always have come back to IE.

Firefox and Google V IE and Bing

No contest - Firefox!

I second rich951 The stats on browsers in SF would be very intresting.

I've used Internet Explorer for years with NO problems, I have tried other browsers such as Firefox, and always have come back to IE.

Me too.....

Why does this not surprise me :hihi:

It's back to horses for courses - if you are happy with your browser then stick with it - if not, get something better. or like the famous supermarket advert says:

"Try something new today!" - just found this - will have to rewrite my comment on Opera (but I don't use it for social networking!):

http://www.networkworld.com/community/blog/which-browser-most-secure

I have to say that IE9 causes problems with certain websites and I find myself constantly hitting the little 'broken page' link in the address bar to get IE to emulate IE8, so I can work on websites.

Very strange...