The London bombings 7/7/05

Let me guess: the evidence will point to Iranians and well be told we're now at war with Iran.

That AQ are behind this is only speculation at the moment, so hold your horses.

Somebody on this thread (sorry, I forgot the username) asked: but which terrorists?

Good question. Is it AQ or is it western black ops? We have to consider all possibilities.

Someone also mentioned something about an incident at Canary Wharf. Anybody got a link on it yet?

Another thing, did I hear on the news something about one of the bus drivers asking for directions? Didn't quite catch it - anybody know?

And is it true that all the mobile phone networks were turned off?

And this is an interesting piece of speculation:

http://www.profindpages.com/news/2005/06/16/MN983.htm

I had booked Nat. Express to travel to London on Monday (11th). Filled with dread over the last couple of days and nights, went to change booking. Thought I'd leave matters for a week, give London a chance to settle, and leave more time to monitor developments.

According to clerk amendment charge being levied as 'things are back to normal.' Am very aware now of those luggage lockers on coaches. To me they're an open invitation to bombers. So the attitude being shown was hardly reassuring. Unhappy about not being taken seriously, asked to cancel, to be told I'd have to pay even more to do so. Have written to complain and am considering contacting the media.

Am I alone in my anxieties?

:heyhey:

To CaroleK,

The driver of the number 30 that exploded asked directions from a traffic warden just prior to the explosion. He did so because he was diverted from his normal route due to the bombs on the tubes.

Certainly most mobile phones were turned off. The Madrid bombers had used mobiles to set off bombs and the desire was to avoid a recurrence in London, in case those responsible for 7/7 were relying on the ruse.

Thanks PieR. I just thought it strange for a bus driver to be asking directions.

Originally posted by PieR

Certainly not, although I think they are misplaced. Of course you won't be 100% safe, you never can be, but I am sure you will be at least as safe on your coach as you would have been had you gone down the day before the bombings. As others have already said, get on with your life, don't let the terrorists intimidate you.

Londoners, and those of us who have worked in London during previous bombing campaigns, in particular the IRA bombings of the Baltic Exchange area, Bishopsgate and Canary Wharf area, do tend to get back to "normal" very quickly, in an attempt to not let these cowards beat us.

May I take the opportunity to post again the poem I posted previously in this thread, which I think sums this up pretty well...

London Pride

You come to place your bags of hate

On bus and train, you made us late

Yet we’ll be back again tomorrow

We’ll carry on despite our sorrow

Your bags of hate caused some to die

Yet we stride out strong with heads held high

You’ll never win, we will not bow

You can’t defeat us, you don’t know how

This London which we love with pride

Is a town where scum like you can’t hide

Don’t worry we will hunt you down

Then Lock you up in name of Crown

We’re London and we’re many races

Just look you’ll see our stoic faces

We all condemn your heinous act

You will not win and that’s a fact

We’ll mourn our dead and shed a tear

But we will not bow to acts of fear

You’re out there somewhere all alone

There’s nowhere now you can call home

Olympics ours we’ve won the race

Your timing then a real disgrace

Our strength you’ll find remains unbowed

We’re London and we’re very proud.

Chris Neal

Originally posted by CaroleK

Thanks PieR. I just thought it strange for a bus driver to be asking directions.

Mod. Note

Which is EXACTLY how stupid rumours start.

Also, this is NOT the thread for conspiracy theories - there a thread in which to place all the politics, conspiracy, blame postings that people may wish to post.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48493

So keep THIS thread free of that, please, and use the link above.

Thanks,

Joe

Originally posted by DJI66

Sorry, Just feeling angry, frustrated and helpless all at once:rolleyes:

I'm not surprised you feel this way! It was bad enough with one set of terrorists who tried to make Londoners (and other cities!) feel unsafe but now it's like the worlds gone crazy. I lived in London for 8 years & loved the place but there was always an uneasiness about what would happen next. That uneasiness must have gone through the roof now:|

Originally posted by DanSumption

I'd much rather see them in court. Killing only leads to more killing.

I just realised, after reading a letter in today's Guardian, where Tavistock Square is: it's the beautiful little gardens behind the British Museum with the statue of Ghandi dedicated to "those who refuse to kill" and tributes to the victims of Hiroshima and prisoners of conscience. Irony doesn't come much more painful than this. I love those gardens, they are (alongside Postman's Park) the most tranquil spot I know of in central London.

It wouldn't surprise me if that was an intention 'statement' just as the timing was designed to get maximum, world wide news coverage that day. I want to see them in court too. I don't want them to remain faceless.

Originally posted by PieR

I had booked Nat. Express to travel to London on Monday (11th). Filled with dread over the last couple of days and nights, went to change booking. Thought I'd leave matters for a week, give London a chance to settle, and leave more time to monitor developments.

According to clerk amendment charge being levied as 'things are back to normal.' Am very aware now of those luggage lockers on coaches. To me they're an open invitation to bombers. So the attitude being shown was hardly reassuring. Unhappy about not being taken seriously, asked to cancel, to be told I'd have to pay even more to do so. Have written to complain and am considering contacting the media.

I travelled down to Cambridge from Manchester on Wednesday evening via Euston/Kings Cross intending to make the same journey back yesterday evening. I fully expected not to be able to do it, but as it happened I had little choice and returning via London was my only option.

I wanted to come home so had to just do it. It was a bit of a surreal experience. 4pm on a Friday and both Kings Cross and Euston were eerily quiet. The streets around the stations were packed with police, journalists and photographers.

My attitude is that fear and paranoia just limit us from getting on with our lives. I think the worst from a personal point of view is that my girlfriend was waiting at home and her anxieties were more heightened. Being at a distance, seeing it all unfolding on the news feeds the imagination but in reality there are some things you can't anticipate and sometimes you just have to get on with it.

Came back past Kings X yesterday myself - felt very odd. Back in Croydon on Monday, returning 2 sheffield Friday :(

The govt. has announced there will be a 2 mins silence at 1200 BST on Thursday.