The Sheffield Tap pub - railway station bar

I do wish threads weren't just moved without Any notice.

I don't see what difference Friday makes to the rest of the week though.

I do wish threads weren't just moved without Any notice.

I don't see what difference Friday makes to the rest of the week though.

Busier basically.

Popped in last night and asked the barman which were the Tap's own brews. He didn't know and had to ask the other barman. Not getting at him but you'd think that this would be one of the first things they were taught.

Does anyone know if the Sheffield Tap serves food?

Yes. No. In that order. If that makes sense? :)

Does anyone know if the Sheffield Tap serves food?

Nothing more than sandwiches

Nothing more than sandwiches

Thanks for that. I e-mailed and also left a message on answer machine. No one got back to me so I took our business to Rutland Arms. That was a good call.

Popped in yesterday afternoon, been looking forward to visiting the Sheffield Tap after 3 months in a real ale desert ( France). I selected a beer asked for a pint and handed over £5, thinking it would be more than enough, receiving back just 20p in change, strewth £4-80p !

Is this average, about right, perhaps I've been in France too long ?

As a retiree I think I may have to rethink my drinking habits.

It can be expensive but then it's city centre prices. There's a board listing the prices to the left of the bar. Can be good but plenty are, as you found, rather over-priced.

The problem is lack of visibility of beer list and their prices. If you are stood the other end you have no clue about what's on, alcohol strength or price. So you have to walk up and down. I find this a bit tedious, especially when it's busy.

I'd rather have less choice and be able to just ask for 'a pint of bitter'. But I haven't done that since about 1989.

I'd like it if they kept some of the same ones on all the time (their own perhaps) so at least when you found one you like you could stick to that each time.

I think the cask price list is pretty visible, though can be a pain if it's rammed and you're at the 'Thornbridge' end

What I don't like is that there's no keg price list - especially as those are the ones that are more likely to elicit the Yorkshire Battle Cry ('ow much?!')! MAybe they daren't... (admittedly usually the staff will usually say 'you do know that's £15 a thimble?' or whatever, but still)

as for less choice though, oh hell no! glad we've left the bad old days of bitter and mild and nowt else behind. that's my view anyway...

Won't go in the tap anymore and it's got nothing to do with price that doesn't matter to me. What does is that every keg beer I've had in there recently regardless of style, brewery or ABV has had this metallic taste. I don't mind paying high prices for something special but when it's off it's a no go. Lots of the bottles in there are way past their best as well.