The Sheffield Tap pub - railway station bar

I'm sure I remember Stones being about 4.2% ABV, then it went to 3.9% then 3.7%. A distinctive beer destroyed. I'm from over the other side originally and I remember the same happening to Boddingtons.

Now Holts was a beer that never compromised! :)

4.1% was the strength when I first supped it, but I believe it may have been as strong as 4.5% a few years before that. It really was agenuinely tasty and refreshing beer. I also agree about Boddington's as well. I *just* remember the proper stuff. A nice, clean, grainy taste, which still had body. Now, sadly just a distant memory ....

As for Holt's ... sheesh ... right down there with Hyde's ... even the mild ...

As for Holt's ... sheesh ... right down there with Hyde's ... even the mild ...

I went to school right opposite the Hyde's brewery - it always smelt like a proper brew to me.

I went to school right opposite the Hyde's brewery - it always smelt like a proper brew to me.

Wasn't to my taste - too sulphury. To be fair, the smell of any brewery is enough to make me thirsty though!

Wasn't to my taste - too sulphury. To be fair, the smell of any brewery is enough to make me thirsty though!

Horrible Hydes we used to call it (from the character in Porridge - Horrible Ives). Holt's is similar in being a very weird tasting beer. But both are always cheap and they still have a great estate of characterful old pubs in the North West.

Cask Stones is still available, but it's nothing like what it used to be. It's not even the right colour - too orangey like the cans. I think Moonshine and all its clones have stolen the clothes of draught Stone's.

Regarding the stools in the Tap, they could maybe remove a few of them as they do get in the way of getting served. Though it's nice to sit on one of them you do feel as if you're in they way (because you are!).

Hope they get something from the new Toad brewery in Donny, they could deliver it by train.

Guest beers from St Peters Brewery in Suffolk now available at the Tap whilst stocks last. These beers are rare to see on draught, especially outside the south-east.

Once the St Peters beers are gone, next guests are from Glastonbury brewery.

Also on the handpumps at the Tap, Brewdog beers are now alongside Thornbridge as regulars.

Guest beers from St Peters Brewery in Suffolk now available at the Tap whilst stocks last. These beers are rare to see on draught, especially outside the south-east.

Also on the handpumps at the Tap, Brewdog beers are now alongside Thornbridge as regulars.

This makes me very happy - as does the fact that I have my first shift there tomorrow. A 20% staff discount certainly won't go amiss!

Yer a philistine!

Stones Best Bitter was a great (cask!) beer twenty years ago, and really underrated. I used to really enjoy it. Then it was weakened, the brewery shut down, weakened again, and now is keg only (I believe).

Barely a shadow of the beer I used to enjoy. Ward's Sheffield Best Bitter obviously went exactly the same way, at about the same time.

From what i can remember, a heavy session on the Stones or Ward's usually resulted in an lengthy, exciting and occasionally painful to the excrement birthing suite the next morning

Besides The Sheffield Tap on Monday, I've seen St Peter's on tap at the Jerusalem Tavern in London (which St Peter's own) and The Dove Street Inn in Ipswich.

I've not really found the Brewdog beers I've had before to my liking though. But then again that's my personal taste.

Besides The Sheffield Tap on Monday, I've seen St Peter's on tap at the Jerusalem Tavern in London (which St Peter's own) and The Dove Street Inn in Ipswich.

I've not really found the Brewdog beers I've had before to my liking though. But then again that's my personal taste.

So, basically, if you fancy a pint of St. Peter's this weekend, you can go to London/Ipswich - OR you can head to The Tap!

Andy C, do you work at The Tap perchance? Bcasue if you do, I haven't met you yet!

I quite like the stronger St Peters beers, I got myself a few bottles of their Summer Ale, Winter Ale and Cream Stout from Beers of Europe.

Andy C - If Brewdog are now regulars with Thornbridge, how many of each are they having on?

Regards

Doom

So, basically, if you fancy a pint of St. Peter's this weekend, you can go to London/Ipswich - OR you can head to The Tap!

Andy C, do you work at The Tap perchance? Bcasue if you do, I haven't met you yet!

The Jerusalem Taven is not open on Saturday's or Sunday's and the Dove only has St Peter's on occasionally. So, no neither of them could be 100% viable anyway.

http://www.stpetersbrewery.co.uk/london/default.htm

This makes me very happy - as does the fact that I have my first shift there tomorrow. A 20% staff discount certainly won't go amiss!

you work there now! congrats! I'll see you soon then.

I do love the sheffield tap the only thing that I've noticed that lets it down is the staff and I'm not the only one who thinks so