The Sheffield Tap pub - railway station bar

You may have read coverage in the Sheffield Telegraph about a month or so ago about this project. A company called Pivo Cafe Bars has a grant from the Railway Heritage Trust to restore the old First Class refreshment rooms at Sheffield railway stations with it's ornate tiling, plasterwork and wooden panels and open it as a proper pub (although I anticipate it being a quality blend of classic and contemporary style).

A range of real ales will be available with 4 Thornbridge beers on handpull plus a number of guest beers, there will also be an excellent range of International beers including a massive selection of bottled beers and some nice stuff on tap including Bernard Lager.

The main entrance to the pub will be on Sheaf Street (just to the left of the ticket office where the pavement is wide) and there will also be access to the bar from platform 1b for rail passengers.

A provisional opening date appears to have been announced - 5th December.

http://www.pivocafebar.com/sheffield-tap.html

Great stuff, can't wait. Just what we need on the station.

How long has it been since the old rubbishy bar was demolished? Quite a few years I think.

Great stuff, can't wait. Just what we need on the station.

How long has it been since the old rubbishy bar was demolished? Quite a few years I think.

A few years, it was turned into the Whistlestop shop.

Anyone got any photos of the original? Tried Picture Sheffield, to no avail...

Cheers Andy. Looks like a lovely old bar. Be interested to go for a few beers in there!

Will definitely go to check it out. I hope they have a done a sympathetic restoration. The problem I can see them having is that it is a bit out of the way to include in a pub crawl, there being no other decent real ale bars nearby, unless you include the Rutland, but I guess they will get a good passing trade with the train travellers.

If you were doing a real ale crawl you could meet at the Sheffield Tap then head up into town via the Rutland Arms and Red Lion, or alternatively via the Old Queens Head then Dove & Rainbow.

Brilliant. I love going to places like Stalybridge with a pub on the platform.

looking forward to this. hope it is as good as the brewery tap in leeds.

just a thought....won't people will be able to walk through the pub to avoid the proposed platform barriers?

Should be good, promises to be.

Once the ticket barriers go in I imagine the door onto the platform will be for emergency use only, with all access via the main front door on the street.