Made in Sheffield, China (?)

On many occasions whilst in Sheffield I've heard the rumour, or maybe urban legend is better, that a steel producing city in China was renamed 'Sheffield' so that they could genuinely use the term "Made in Sheffield" on their steel. I was reading an interesting article that 'Made in Sheffield' is a protected term, but I've not been able to find any evidence of the story's truth; does anyone know anything about the Sheffield of China story?

I heard the same rumour.

I know some Chinese people that settled here tho that can claim legitamatly that there kids where made in Sheffield :D But as for cutlery we all know where the best comes from ;)

The truth is there is no truth - it's definitely an urban legend.

Possibly it was invented by some hysteria-inducing right wing chip wrapper.

Not heard it at all, but I'd mark it down as an urban legend. For a start, it's impossible to write "Sheffield" in Hanzi (Chinese characters)! The Pinyin (Romanized) word they use for "Sheffield" is "Xiefei’erde"

This urban myth doesn't only apply to Sheffield.

There was rumour in the US that the Sony corporation had named a town in Japan 'USA', thus making them legally entitled to display the term 'Made in the USA' on their goods. Turns out it was merely a rumour, possibly spread by a rival firm.

The international trademark of the word 'Sheffield' is owned by the Company of Cutlers.

This urban myth doesn't only apply to Sheffield.

There was rumour in the US that the Sony corporation had named a town in Japan 'USA', thus making them legally entitled to display the term 'Made in the USA' on their goods. Turns out it was merely a rumour, possibly spread by a rival firm.

International copyright can't prevent you from using your own name, for example if Tom McDonald from Rotterham decides to open a burger bar he would have no problem calling it McDonald's.

This myth though makes the illigitimate leap that i) this can be extended to include deed-poll changes and ii) this can be extended to places as well as people.

International copyright can't prevent you from using your own name, for example if Tom McDonald from Rotterham decides to open a burger bar he would have no problem calling it McDonald's.

This myth though makes the illigitimate leap that i) this can be extended to include deed-poll changes and ii) this can be extended to places as well as people.

Hmm, not sure about that. McDonalds have taken lots of people to court for copyright infringement, or at least threatened them. It seems they believe they own the prefix "Mc"

Im not saying Tom McDonald woul not legally be allowed to called his restaurant that, but I would expect serious pressure from the similarly named American giant.

McCurry in malaysia

Nicky D's restaurant in the USA

A scottish restaurant called McMunchies

etc...

I have lived in Canada for the last twenty years, But Sheffield born and bred and will be untill I croak, I go to a mega hardware store here and blasted all over the place are Sheffield knives and multitools all absolute crap just named Sheffield to catch the customer, look in the very small print and they are made in china, but Sheffield is in lettering twenty times as large, the manager is sick of me bitching at Him, sneaky bustards.

The story I heard related to Japan and the renaming of a cutlery making town there. China has only recently industrialised and become a major exporter, a long time since the "Made in Sheffield" mark was desirable.

I used to work for a Sheffield cutlers, and we were told there that a Japanese town was renamed many many years ago, but that 'made in sheffield' was a trademark, and could only actually be used when describing goods made in sheffield, south yorkshire (as there are many sheffield's out there, all over the world)...

http://www.madeinsheffield.org/

Edited by Lady Star

The story I heard related to Japan and the renaming of a cutlery making town there. China has only recently industrialised and become a major exporter, a long time since the "Made in Sheffield" mark was desirable.

Whisky from the village of Scotland Japan.True or not I don't know.

No need to lie really.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/apr/21/japan-whisky-industry

Edited by matsalleh