Taxing a Car - previously on disabled tax

Hi can anyone help please. I am buying a vehicle which has previously been on disabled tax. I know that I cannot tax it at the post office but have been told that I have to go to the tax office where it was registered for disabled tax. Is this true or can I just go to the car tax office in Sheffield and get it transfered to normal car tax?

Thanks you

My car was also on disabled tax and if i had to go to the DVLA and get it changed, just fill a form in not too much hassle really. But you cant tax it unless you do this.

I wouldn't buy another car on a disabled tax disc again, way too much hassle, I had to find a DVLA office and when I got there it took about 5 hours to get sorted out.

The waiting area was a typical government office where you take a raffle ticket and wait your turn in a waiting area full of screaming babies and unhappy people who'd been messed about in one way or another.

I just wanted to leave but I was left with the impression that thats what they wanted so's they could fine you for not paying your tax, you think they'd want you to pay up instead of making things difficult.

theres a dvla office on napier st, just off ecclesall rd, thats where i went to change the taxation class of my vehicle, as Northernstar said, the office is a typical government office, take a ticket and wait your turn, depends how busy they are and whether or not you have all your documentation - log book / new keepers suppliment, insurance etc as to how quick they are in processing the change and issuing the tax disc.. (ps they wont issue tax disks if you have had to print the insurance certificate yourself - they insist on the insurer posting you one - load of bulls*** if you ask me).

Edited by squeezy

theres a dvla office on napier st, just off ecclesall rd, thats where i went to change the taxation class of my vehicle, as Northernstar said, the office is a typical government office, take a ticket and wait your turn, depends how busy they are and whether or not you have all your documentation - log book / new keepers suppliment, insurance etc as to how quick they are in processing the change and issuing the tax disc.. (ps they wont issue tax disks if you have had to print the insurance certificate yourself - they insist on the insurer posting you one - load of bulls*** if you ask me).

the reason dvla and post office have to see an original document is because anyone can print themselves an insurance certificate from their computer , only the dvla @ swansea have access to to the insurance database when you tax your car online . All insurers must by law send you an original document through the post if you request one .x

Thank you everyone for your kind replys will go on Monday:thumbsup:

Bloody great,ive just bought one that is classed as disabled,ive got the V5C/2 new keeper bit of the logbook and was hoping to goet it taxed tomorrow!!!

I have no chance now as i work 12 hour days.

Lesson learned i suppose,but the car was a bargain.

Cars on disabled tax are usually ex-motability cars and go to the auctions. I quite often see local traders snapping them up and bunging them on Ebay.

Right,just to clear things up i have today checked the V10 form (Application For Tax Disc)

It states the documents you need are;

V5c or new keepers details (V5c/2)

Valid Insurance Certificate or cover note (not policy schedule,renewal notice or receipt).

The certificate MUST cover liability to third parties and be valid for when the tax disc comes into force, and show that it covers the vehicle you are taxing.

A valid MOT certificate.

It then states the following;

"All documents must be originals,not photo copies or faxed copies.

HOWEVER,downloaded insurance certificates WILL BE ACCEPTED".

This is good news for me because i can get time off work and take my print off certificate,and not have to wait upto 21 days for the posted details to arrive.

The above is fact,i have read them today because i am taxing my car as PLG because the previous owner had it registered as disabled,so it has to be done at the local DVLA office.

Hope this clears up the mixed info on previous posts.:thumbsup:

Cheers,Craig.

---------- Post added 13-05-2013 at 20:08 ----------

Cars on disabled tax are usually ex-motability cars and go to the auctions. I quite often see local traders snapping them up and bunging them on Ebay.

That probably is true,and apart from the taxing hassle,these cars can be very good bargains.

Usually low millage with full service history,but the condition of the mechanics will depend on the drivers disability i would think.

Cheers,Craig.

Edited by marathon man
adding detail.

That probably is true,and apart from the taxing hassle,these cars can be very good bargains.

Usually low millage with full service history,but the condition of the mechanics will depend on the drivers disability i would think.

Cheers,Craig.

You're absolutely right. The only concern I know of is if the car is a diesel. The chances are it won't have done many miles, especially on the motorway. This means that the particulate filter system may need replacing sooner than expected.