Dual boot XP and Win7

Whats the easiest way to do this?

I've been trying to do that but windows 7 does not seem to like dual boot option.

Not done much experimenting yet though.

My concern is that there needs to be a change made in the bios. IDE to something else i think. I have no problem changing the option manually and then go to boot options, choose my drive then boot but i was hoping for a quicker way.

Let me know how your experimenting goes.:)

Whats the easiest way to do this?

Install XP first then Win7. Win7 will sort out the boot menu for you.

Thanks Magilla, but doesn't Win 7 want to install over XP and how do you stop this?

Install XP first then Win7. Win7 will sort out the boot menu for you.

Is that for when both os's are on the same drive or different ones?

Im using seperate drives so will this still work?

Is that for when both os's are on the same drive or different ones?

Im using seperate drives so will this still work?

I find the easiest way is to...

have 2 physical drives, plug in 1 drive, and install XP

Unplug that drive, and plug in the other and install Windows 7

Plug both drives in and set the bios for which ever you want as your default drive/OS so that when you turn your computer on, this is the one that boots without intervention..

but IF you want to boot the other OS, use your bios's boot menu to choose the other drive (Usually F8 or F12 when you first turn your PC on) this way I have 4 OS's installed on 4 different drives, and there's no messing around with boot loaders, boot menu's or anything like that, and if I remove one drive it doesn't get lost or affect the others.

I have done this on my home PC and my laptop also.. both have XP Pro x64 and Windows 7 Ultimate x64 installed.

To do this.. make two partitions on your hard drive (fresh install required or would be best)

Install XP first, once this is complete, restart your PC and install Windows 7 (not upgrade option) .. install Win7 on the 2nd hard drive partition you made.

Once this is done and Win7 installed reboot.. you will now have the choice to boot either:

'Earlier version of Windows' - XP

Windows 7

Enjoy!

whats min spec required to run windows 7

Google too complicated for you?

I have done this on my home PC and my laptop also.. both have XP Pro x64 and Windows 7 Ultimate x64 installed.

To do this.. make two partitions on your hard drive (fresh install required or would be best)

Install XP first, once this is complete, restart your PC and install Windows 7 (not upgrade option) .. install Win7 on the 2nd hard drive partition you made.

Once this is done and Win7 installed reboot.. you will now have the choice to boot either:

'Earlier version of Windows' - XP

Windows 7

Enjoy!

What's the benefit of keeping xp? I was intending to do this as a lot of the software I use won't be compatabile. Is it better than the xp comparability mode in win7?