White Van Man reverses into cyclist on Abbeydale Road

sorry didn't mean to label anyone, was more of a description.

with the dark nights coming in I think I just wanted people to look out a bit more for cyclists. No one was hurt in the incident so thought better of reporting it,everybody makes mistakes I thought. It could have been a lot worse.

I had just that day fitted new very expensive high vis lights to the bike too from halfords. think ill be taking them back :) with my other two leds and high vis jacket and whatever else I thought I was going to blind someone :)

Im not starting off a debate about how bad cyclists are or how bad motorists are. I've seen my fair share. 98% of people using the roads are great, I let plenty of cars in from side roads and I've been let in by many more motorists. I get plenty of space and when I'm driving the car it gives me a better appreciation of the dangers.

I understand we are hard to spot with the late nights drawing in but please take a second look in the mirror before moving in. Much appreciated.

Isn't it time to ban cyclist off the roads, they are too prone to accidents and have very little protection.

I saw one the other night after work on POW Rd all in Black with no lights, it was raining and very dark. He was very lucky I saw him.

No they don't need banning but many need any education on safety and how to ride in a safe manner. Plus insurance and some sort of identification so they can fined when red light hoping like other road users can.

Going back to original post I guess the reversing lights weren't working either. Driver needs fining for being on a mobile and also failing to report an accident. However it looks like OP didn't inform the driver of the accident either.

Problem with reporting it too the Police now unless there's any cameras around your stuffed.

Other things to consider are blind spots I've driven some vans and unless you get and look physically you can't see anyone.

I spotted where you're going wrong. 98% of road users are great. Now if you considered 98% of road users are idiots your Journey would be much safer.

Edited by The PIT

:confused:

In fact the only stereotyping going on comes from natjack and holymoses, who unsurprisingly manage to turn a cyclist being hit by someone driving without due care, into a rant against cyclists.

Maybe everyone should be forced to cycle for a week, you might get a bit of exercise and be a little less ignorant the next time you feel the need to post on a cycling related thread.

How do you make what I posted out to be rant? Do you consider that cyclist was riding safely and defensively, because I don't. He scared me to death, another inch and he'd have been on my bonnet, another couple of seconds and he'd have been on someone else's bonnet. Just to save himself a minute of time and get in front for a second or two, he comes at speed across two lanes and in front of traffic just pulling away from the lights in both directions ... madness.

Most people have ridden bikes, but some now can't due to disability or illness, so does that disqualify us from having a story to tell? :huh:

Maybe he had but maybe the OP didn't have lights on the front turned on so the driver couldn't see him due to other headlights.

It was also raining at the time so you got rain drops on your mirrors making it difficult too see clearly.

So many maybe's.

Perhaps OP was under taking at speed and when the driver first looked OP wasn't in view or far enough back to be considered not a risk.

Without actually been there witnessing it we don't really know.

What ever happened to the stickers saying If you cant see my mirrors, I cant see you.

Van drivers of any colour cannot see through opaque material as far as i know

What ever happened to the stickers saying If you cant see my mirrors, I cant see you.

Van drivers of any colour cannot see through opaque material as far as i know

What on earth is the relevance of this to the OP? If the OP said "I cycled up to a stationary van , then it reversed and didn't see me" then fair enough.

But that is not the allegation, so your post is vacuous to say the least.

van drivers,bus drivers,4x4 drivers are allowed to drive anyway they like......cyclists should keep to cycle lanes at all times...no cycle lane...get off and push...

van drivers,bus drivers,4x4 drivers are allowed to drive anyway they like......cyclists should keep to cycle lanes at all times...no cycle lane...get off and push...

you do the company you advertise in your sig no end of god with such posts. :loopy:

Contact the Police and claim damage if there is any to your bike...

Not heard of the Highway Code :loopy::hihi::D

you do the company you advertise in your sig no end of god with such posts. :loopy:

not saying we do it....we are law abiding....but cyclists don't do themselves any favour...going through red lights and mounting the pavements.....one thing that our drivers do not do.....can't speak for 4x4 drivers

Contact the Police and claim damage if there is any to your bike...

Not heard of the Highway Code :loopy::hihi::D

what's the highway code....cyclists don't follow it...