Inverted Snobbery in Sheffield

WHAT!!!? there are many good areas in Sheffield that are great to live in. They may not be as affluent as those in the West end but there are some great people who live there and believe me they are so much more pleasant and appreciable than some.

I work in those areas, S10, S11 and S17 and yes they are very nice, pleasant to look at areas; leafy, manicured lawns and hedges, latest reg cars on the drives...oh and paved drives at that too..., slightly wider roads than some other districts, less road calming measures than say Scott Road at S4.

Oh yes now, looking More closely at S10, S11 and S17......, they ALSO have dog crap on the streets, litter, empty houses, serious noise complaints, major defects on the drainage system allowing s@*t to cascade down the roads and e v e r y o n e walks through it, brattish children, drug taking individuals, drunks........the list goes on.

Oh dear not much different to the rest of Sheffield is it????

Originally posted by Sony

Forgive me, and I don't quite know how to say this but the Uk as a whole have a lot of " common people"... By this I dont necessarily mean poor, but just plain thick..... It's very strange. If you go up Firth Park, you get quite a few people fitting in a certain stereotype; weekly shop @ netto (£10 to feed the whole family for the week) the rest on booze and fags. If you have a conversation with them, its generally very uninteresting, mostly what happened @ the pub last nite, who they slagged off etc...

Then you go to the other side of the city, lets say S10, and you get what I can honestly call " normal people". They say hello to you, they respect each other's proprety, and, again, generally you can have a good conversation with them.

I know what most of you will say, there are decent people in every area of every city anywhere, but as a general rule, there is no way I'd move to any other postcode in Sheffield. S10 S11 S17 are great, the rest you've got to be careful who your neighbours will be.......

I live near firth park .I care a great deal about my kids and so do most people who live round here and yes we do buy toothpaste.We dont all shop at netto or take drugs.A lot of people round here work hard and have nice homes.

I was born in what is now S20, back then it was good old S19, Beighton, a sleepy/rough mining village, with an inbred village mentality. I grew up smart and went off to Manchester University, then came back. Have since lived in S10 (burgled once, attempted burglary on 2 other occasions thankfully we were in, and threatened with violence once), then moved to S8 ( leafy, bohemian, street youths hanging around, dog turds on the pavements) and then through a financial downturn moved to Longley S5, a supposedly 'rough' area. Oddly enough have not had any trouble whatsoever, and yes I do shop at Netto, also at Morrisons, and Tesco. I am a non smoker, and drink maybe 2 pints a week, usually less.

I may be an exception, but I like my neighbours, and they are not 'vile rude chavs'.

Originally posted by bassplayer

WHAT!!!? there are many good areas in Sheffield that are great to live in. They may not be as affluent as those in the West end but there are some great people who live there and believe me they are so much more pleasant and appreciable than some.

I work in those areas, S10, S11 and S17 and yes they are very nice, pleasant to look at areas; leafy, manicured lawns and hedges, latest reg cars on the drives...oh and paved drives at that too..., slightly wider roads than some other districts, less road calming measures than say Scott Road at S4.

Oh yes now, looking More closely at S10, S11 and S17......, they ALSO have dog crap on the streets, litter, empty houses, serious noise complaints, major defects on the drainage system allowing s@*t to cascade down the roads and e v e r y o n e walks through it, brattish children, drug taking individuals, drunks........the list goes on.

Oh dear not much different to the rest of Sheffield is it????

Shh, don't tell t020! He thinks Eccleshall is heaven on earth! :D

Sorry Mods, just a little joke!

There are posh people scattered all around Sheffield admittly more so around Dore and Whirlow but even from our own streets we're not far from a posh person. I don't think posh people are particulary snobby but they do have different opinions and views.

there's no common set of views or opinions, so it's hardly suprising that anyone has different ones.

What exactly identifies someone as posh?

Originally posted by Cyclone

What exactly identifies someone as posh?

Yeah, how do you know if someone's posh or not?

Originally posted by JonJParr

Posh people get out of the shower for a pee.

Originally posted by nick2

Posh people get out of the shower for a pee.

You have a good memory Nick. Indeed I don't pee in the shower therefore I must be posh.

Following Nicks logic I guess I must be a commoner then....

:shocked:

You have a good memory Nick. Indeed I don't pee in the shower therefore I must be posh.

Also, posh people can't eat chips without a fork, realy posh people can't eat them without a plate, and incredibly posh people wouldn't even admit to eating chips at all.

:)

I'm making this up as I go along.

Good question! Doesn't it depend on the background and how weathly the person is?