Parents and teachers: Why are there so many training days?

Could those of you who have enjoyed a bit of teacher bashing on this thread please answer these questions:

- What would you expect their job to involve for their money, or more importantly to you, holidays?

- What is it that makes you think teachers do not work hard enough?

Its very interesting how far we have come from the OP which was about an issue everyday teachers have no control over.

As a parent who works full time I can understand the frustration of the OP - it is indeed very difficult to find childcare outside of "normal" school holiday times.

I have no problems with teachers receiving training, but would personally find it helpful if they gave more notice. Our first training day this year was Sept 18th - a couple of weeks after they'd gone back. I have to give much more notice than that if I want a day off.

I was very lucky that the after school club at the school offered care for the day, and I can only urge parents who don't have this facility to petition their school to try and help provide one.

It's difficult for everyone involved, but I do know that solutions are more likely to be found by working together rather than slagging off schools, teachers or working parents.

I think that many teachers nowadays are useless, and only took the job on because of the huge amount of holiday that they get.

If these teachers spent more time teaching and less time posting on forums, they wouldn’t have to catch up in their own time.

The abuse and antisocial behaviour is caused by these teachers, as the children have no respect for them. A good teacher will gain the respect of the class.

Even though they are onto such a cushy number, teachers really are a moaning lot!

Good behaviour is taught at a very young age, or should be, before the child is old enough to go to school. If your little darlings are badly behaved you have no one to blame but yourself.

Judging by the lack of respect that you have shown to ANYONE on here that doesn't share your very uninformed opinion, I am not surprised that your offspring have no respect for their teachers or anyone in authority probably.

.and NO, I am not a teacher but a parent of 3 who has nothing but respect and admiration for teachers who have to face stupid parents like you every day of their working lives.

I've been watching the thread with interest.

I was going to mention the fact that teachers have families too, but since that has already been brought up, I have another point to make if I may.

There are an awful lot of kids in mainstream school these days, that a few years ago would have had to go into schools dedicated to their needs. It is great of course that they are, but consider a few things. These children often have to be taught in different ways, and more often than not these days you also have at least one child in school, or even per year group with behavioural problems for one reason or another. Who takes care of their tantrums, and their abusive behaviour in school?

Who is it that picks up on a child with odd bruises? Who is it that notices the way a child reacts to certain situations?

Who is it that helps the child who cannot get their head around their pet hamster dying?

Who is it who helps a child come to terms with their parents splitting up?

Who is it that cleans up the cuts and grazes? That holds a child's hand when it's praying to great god Hewie?

Who is it that tries their very best to install in kids morals, manners etc when they're lacking from homes? The teachers and TA's.

I volunteer in a school, and I've seen the wall charts of all the courses and training they have to do on these issues and a great deal more, never mind the actual 'teaching' courses. I am friends with a teacher down south who spends all her time (including during a hospital stay) preparing for lessons well in advance.

I think you ought to stop giving the teachers such a hard time. They can't control the situation any more than we as parents can, and give them the credit due to them. They work very hard in conditions that aren't getting any better.

These days I can only wonder why anyone would want to become a teacher. They're abused left, right and centre, and still go back for more.

I wonder how working parents will manage if heaven-forbid they ever go out on strike like they did back in the early 80's!

Oh and just think - the yoof of today, with no manners and no idea of how to a respected member of society, will be the parent of tomorrow - gawd elp the teachers then!

I think that many teachers nowadays are useless, and only took the job on because of the huge amount of holiday that they get.

If these teachers spent more time teaching and less time posting on forums, they wouldn’t have to catch up in their own time.

The abuse and antisocial behaviour is caused by these teachers, as the children have no respect for them. A good teacher will gain the respect of the class.

Even though they are onto such a cushy number, teachers really are a moaning lot!

Parent,attitude=dumb kids

Schools should already, as previously stated in other posts, tell parents well in advance and if they are not it needs taking up with the school. Most will give several months notice.

I dont know about primary schools but in some secondaries parents are given the option of sending their children into school anyway but the vast majority dont. Presumably because the children are that bit older or they can take themselves to a friends house.

I was going to mention the fact that teachers have families too, but since that has already been brought up, I have another point to make if I may.

There are an awful lot of kids in mainstream school these days, that a few years ago would have had to go into schools dedicated to their needs. It is great of course that they are, but consider a few things. These children often have to be taught in different ways, and more often than not these days you also have at least one child in school, or even per year group with behavioural problems for one reason or another. Who takes care of their tantrums, and their abusive behaviour in school?

Who is it that picks up on a child with odd bruises? Who is it that notices the way a child reacts to certain situations?

Who is it that helps the child who cannot get their head around their pet hamster dying?

Who is it that cleans up the cuts and grazes? That holds a child's hand when it's praying to great god Hewie?

Who is it that tries their very best to install in kids morals, manners etc when they're lacking from homes? The teachers and TA's.

I volunteer in a school, and I've seen the wall charts of all the courses and training they have to do on these issues and a great deal more, never mind the actual 'teaching' courses. I am friends with a teacher down south who spends all her time (including during a hospital stay) preparing for lessons well in advance.

I think you ought to stop giving the teachers such a hard time. They can't control the situation any more than we as parents can, and give them the credit due to them. They work very hard in conditions that aren't getting any better.

These days I can only wonder why anyone would want to become a teacher. They're abused left, right and centre, and still go back for more.

I wonder how working parents will manage if heaven-forbid they ever go out on strike like they did back in the early 80's!

Oh and just think - the yoof of today, with no manners and no idea of how to a respected member of society, will be the parent of tomorrow - gawd elp the teachers then!

Well done Hayley1 - a very articulate and informative post:clap:

Parent,attitude=dumb kids

Crap teacher,attitude=nightmare kids

Good behaviour is taught at a very young age, or should be, before the child is old enough to go to school. If your little darlings are badly behaved you have no one to blame but yourself.

Judging by the lack of respect that you have shown to ANYONE on here that doesn't share your very uninformed opinion, I am not surprised that your offspring have no respect for their teachers or anyone in authority probably.

.and NO, I am not a teacher but a parent of 3 who has nothing but respect and admiration for teachers who have to face "stupid parents like you" every day of their working lives.

Hmm! resorting to name calling I see. I hate to think how your children will turn out, but thanks for your views anyway. :)

My point is that the rant was aimed at teachers who took yet another day off without any thought for parents who had to find childcare cover. Teachers aren't another species. They can be parents too with children at another school from the one they teach at which can be on an teacher training day. They can't leave their class to go home and look after their chidren. I've never known any school that provides a creche for staffs children. In theory my husband should have had time off to help me after the birth of my children, to look after the children when they are sick as I'm a disabled parent. Did he get any time off? Not one day or one hour. Thankfully 2 children were born in school holidays. I remember with the third I left hospital after 6 hours but had to sit cuddling newborn in car while he stopped at the school to discuss lessons with the supply teacher who covered for him for the last hour while he went to pick me up. This wasn't his choice the head demanded it. We have had to manage and we have done, so why can't you and stop blaming teachers for your problems.

I do get on with it, I have to. It's hard at times and, like you, sometimes need to rant. :)

You have made some good points. :)

Hmm! resorting to name calling I see. I hate to think how your children will turn out, but thanks for your views anyway. :)

All 3 of my children are now adults and are living happy and productive lives. 'Turned out' pretty damned well as it happens. Thank you for your views anyway.:rolleyes:

Edited by Daven