Sheffield Cutlery Manufacturers

Thank you so much lazarus, that's brilliant information. I realised that they'd been around for some years as I'd found an uncle also working there on his army records.

I recall going down to watch my grandfather "astride his horse" with sparks flying everywhere, no eye protection or mask, health & safety wasn't heard of then!

His arms were covered in scars where the burning pieces landed and he was always taking "motes" out of his skin.

The building itself was completely open to the elements, no windows, no extractors and the grinding shop was up an outside open metal staircase.

When he officially retired at 65 they didn't even give him a bottle of sherry, just asked him to stay on to help out which he did until he died aged 73.

I'm very grateful for your information lazarus as I couldn't find anything about them so I began to wonder if I'd got the name wrong.

Duffems

JH Dickinson's went bust in the early 1980's and were bought out by Lancelot Holdings, who kept the factory in Guernsey Road going. Later JHD were taken over by Jones & Longbottom (a little more can be learned here). http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/search.php?searchid=8919293

My father worked for JHDs from 1947 as a toolmaker and die-sinker, after being demobbed until they went bust, apart from a short spell at Ward & Paynes. My grandfather also worked for them on maintenance and if you remember the large steel doors on Guernsey Road they were made by him.

tazz

Can Anyone help. Im trying to sell some cutlery sets that have been in the box for the past 20 years. There solingen and 24k gold (look very cheesy) made in West Germany and my Father has asked me to sell them. Can anyone advise the best place to go to and sell them?

JH Dickinson's went bust in the early 1980's and were bought out by Lancelot Holdings, who kept the factory in Guernsey Road going. Later JHD were taken over by Jones & Longbottom (a little more can be learned here). http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/search.php?searchid=8919293

My father worked for JHDs from 1947 as a toolmaker and die-sinker, after being demobbed until they went bust, apart from a short spell at Ward & Paynes. My grandfather also worked for them on maintenance and if you remember the large steel doors on Guernsey Road they were made by him.

tazz

That's another piece of interesting information to add to my family history, I didn't know all this and I still live in Sheffield so, thanks for that Tazz.

I have an old plate that i have identified as being made by Cooper Bros of Sheffield England. I learned they were around from 1867 -1964.

Under the silversmiths markings there is the number 1635 stamped in the plate.

What i am wanting to know is what the numbers mean. I assume they represent the year of manufacture or a serial number of some kind.

Can anyone direct me to a site that i can research this? Thank you in advance

Any information on Cooper Bros would be appreciated.

Tibits of information I know:

Cooper Brothers were based on Arundel Street.....To its Cooper Building

In the 80's I think it merged or its assets passed to Cobbs and became known as Cooper-Cobbs. The 80's were tough time for the silverware industry with high Silver prices/recession etc. I think through further consolidation Cooper Cobbs merged with James Dixon Group. This silverware company also became a victim.

My guess is that the names and old tooling assets are now part of British Silverware Ltd.

a company that was born out of The Sheffield Smelting Company Known as Thessco.

British Silverware Ltd own many of the former silverware tooling assets from these former family silverware companies: James Dixon - Parkins - Cobbs - Coopers to name a few.

Thank you, for the information...any idea what the numbers might mean?

Could be a catalogue number if stamped into product. If like an etching the product could have been in for a repair at sometime.

Whip

The number is most likely the pattern number for the style of the piece.

PopT

i actual worked at harris millers in the mid eighties and met my long term girlfriend here..it was a great place of work.at one time employing well over a hundred people.some fantastic characters.tomo,clopper,dino,mick,waity,martin,all the lasses from the warehouse..oh and keith..while i was there it was under the ownership of a certain,elderly jewish gentlemen who had a son called andrew..the pay really sucked..i think i was earning around 50 pounds a week(half of which mr hunter took).and then on top of that we got an hours pay for every 10 gross we polished.:(..the place was very scruffy looking..i actually worked within the clairshop..there was a long line of items that were polished..branston pickle spoons,british airways,david mellor,hospital items.i think it closed in and around 1990.there was a massive fire that destroyed a large part of the building complex...anybody remember mr hunter..from the warehouse?..

You know quite a few of the people who were there when I used to collect from Millers, used to go to school with Waity,he lives in Oughtibridge now, My mum bumped into him earlier this year, do you remember 'Chelle Staff, used to live next door to her.

Mr Hunter was our chief contact, was always on the girls case about how much they were doing

Hi,

I am researching my Sheffield family history which goes back several hundred years. My Gt. Gt. Grandfather had a cutlery co. in Sheffield from about 1840 to 1903. It was known as William Twigg & Sons, Cutlery manufacturers. I believe he made full canteens, also spring and pocket knives and bowie knives.

I believe they may have been in partnership with a company called Darley and they were exporting cutlery and importing earthenware - selling both in a number of shops in Sheffield. one may have been in the Whicker. The company was first established at West Bar and later at Bridge Street.

Does anyone know of the family or the company. I would be most grateful for any information.

Thank you, Dune

Twigg is not a common name. I am now 80 years of age but when I was five, then again when I was 11, I was at different schools with an Austin Twigg who didn’t remember me as a child or when I met him on his first day at Grammar School.

We shared the same birthday, April 18, and the same birth-year, 1929. Austin may still be alive and given the rareity of the name he may be a member of that same family.

I lived with my parents at 113 Nidd Road and Austin lived right at the bottom end of Nidd Road, which had been made a cul-de-sac by White City Greyhound Race Track.

Best of luck with your quest. I would start with the telephone directory. Last time I looked he was still breathing, but like I say, at eighty … who knows?

There must surely be remants of his family still living, even if he isn’t.

Hi PeterW

Thanks for your interest and reply. I'll take your advice, could be a starter.

Thanks again, Dune