Sheffield Cutlery Manufacturers

William Twigg was listed as a table knife manufacturer in Westbar in 1839 by the 1850s he was also listed as a cutlery and hardware dealer still on Westbar, by 1840 his address had changed to Bridge Street, in 1860 he had brought his sons into the business, now the firm was William Twigg & Sons and he was still on Bridge Street, it was from these premises where he claimed £140 damages after the flood from the Sheffield flood.

In the 1868 directory he's described as a maker of table cutlery, bread, butchers and cooks knives also steels. In 1871 he was employing ten men and three boys. William died on the 4th of December 1879 aged 71, he was buried in the General Cemetery.

The firm remained on Bridge Street through the 1880s & 1890s, with William Jnr as a partner in 1898, after 1903 the business just disappeared from directories, so it seems it just ceased trading and shut up shop. They don't seem to have had a trade mark.

In the 1879 directory it seems the family are living on the premises of 55 Bridge Street, so they are working and living on the firm, this area of Sheffield has been changed so much if William came back today he wouldn't recognise it.

---------- Post added 06-07-2018 at 09:13 ----------

Williams flood claim 1864

Search results for ‘William twigg’

The following 3 claims include the term ‘William twigg’. Click on the claim number to see details of the claim. (Where the search term occurs within the particulars, the line from the particulars is shown). For more details on using the search, see the Search Notes.

Claim Claimant Description Address Award

421 William Twigg Cutlery Manufacturer 96 Bridge Street Sheffield £140

5499 (appx) The Proprietors of the Soho Grinding Com... Wheel Proprietors Bridge Street, Sheffield

— 6 Twigg William

6507 Thomas Twigg Ivory Cutter Globe Works, Penistone Road, Sheffield; Prospect Cottage, Fir View £5

— Paid to my Assistant, William Twigg, who worked with and for me, 10 days

DETAILS OF HIS CLAIM

Claim Name of Claimant Description of Claimant Address of Claimant

421 William Twigg Cutlery Manufacturer 96 Bridge Street Sheffield

Nature of Claimant’s Interest Particulars of Claim Amount of Damages Claimed

Finished Stock

Table Knives & Forks £50

Carver Knives & Forks £5

Pattern Cards & rolls of Pattern Cards £7

Table & Butchers Steels £4

Scissors £6

Razors & Cases & Combs £5

Spring Knives & Blades £15

Reams of Paper £5

Finished Blades £2

Unfinished Stock

Table & Dessert Forks £7

Carver Forks £2

Handles & Scales £30

Labels & Bill Heads £2

Furniture & Clothes £15

Cleaning the mud away £5

£160

Certificate Granted

6 June 1865 Assessed by Agreement incl costs at

Edited by lazarus

I,m searching for info on George ellis and cooper bros,cutlery companies Sheffield and anybody who worked for them,

If it's the Cooper Bros that was on Arundel Gate then I knew Mr McGrath who was a foreman there but if you ask the same question on the sheffieldhistory site I think you would get a lot of information from there.

Cooper Brothers was on Arundel Street, the building is still in use but ceased making cutlery a long time ago.

On 29/03/2009 at 12:50, Tazz070299 said:

JH Dickinson's went bust in the early 1980's and were bought out by Lancelot Holdings, who kept the factory in Guernsey Road going. Later JHD were taken over by Jones & Longbottom (a little more can be learned here). http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/search.php?searchid=8919293

My father worked for JHDs from 1947 as a toolmaker and die-sinker, after being demobbed until they went bust, apart from a short spell at Ward & Paynes. My grandfather also worked for them on maintenance and if you remember the large steel doors on Guernsey Road they were made by him.

tazz

You might be interested in this... https://joescarboroughart.co.uk/collections/george-cunningham-sketches/products/george_cunningham_sheffield_233-h-dickinson-ltd

GC_233_1200x.jpg?v=1589401722

21 hours ago, George_ said:

My grandfather Albert Norton worked at Dickinson's (Dickie's) as a dry stone fork grinder until his death in 1973.

His father Frederick Arthur Norton used to employ men at the Sheffield Union Grinding Wheel Alma Street and I believe he transferred this business to Dickie's, I don't know what year.

I remember going into Dickie's to see my grandfather working astride "his hoss" with sparks flying everywhere, no protective clothing, his arms were always  covered in burns and he often got "motes" in his eyes. The windows at the back of the building where he worked were non existent, just as well because there were no extractors. The floor where he worked was accessed from what you'd describe as a fire escape, open metal treads.

The day of his official retirement aged 65 came and went with no handshake, no bottle of booze just a request for him to continue as before but, with the benefit of working a few days a week which he did. He left on the Friday to go into hospital for an operation on the following Monday and he died some 2 months later on Christmas Eve 1973.

The conditions our grandparents worked in were horrendous, I have no romantic views about the "good old days".

Regards,

Duffems

I have recently become aware in the last few days of a very extensive book listing almost all of the Sheffield cutlery manufacturers called 

'Tweedale's Directory of Sheffield Cutlery Manufacturers 1740-2013:Revised and Expanded 2nd Edition' with 740 pages. 

Since many of my ancestors were razor manufacturers, cutlers and button makers (according to R.E. Leader's book) I am curious if they are covered by this book. The surnames I am curious to learn more about are 

1. Strafford              2. Waterfall / Waterford / John Waterforth (surname changed over time)                 3. Pickford / Pitchford (same as before).

If anyone has access to this book I would be most grateful if you could look up these surnames and scan the images on here.

Thanks,

Peter

Edited by Peter London
spelling

On 21/05/2012 at 16:52, meggymoo said:

I worked there too in the 80s around the same time. I started in the press shop. I remember being on a machine next to one of the hammers and one man had the tips of his fingers took off by one of the hammers (i remember clearly the hammer in question didnt have the safety guards on) We had to search around for his fingers which made me run to the toilets trying not to be sick after finding one in my box of cutlery! I remember when it happened because I felt wetness at the side of my face which turned out to his blood. When I turned around he was holding out his hand to me which looked like strings of skin dangling from his finger ends dripping blood. At first I didnt know if to laugh, because he was a bit of a joker and I first thought he was having me on! Brrr I will always remember that horrible event.

I remember the press shop foreman Neville and his bird Jayne, she thought she was the boss how she used to order us around.

After I went into the warehouse where I worked on the tryco cleaning tanks. That was hot work and after about a year I ended being poorly with stomach cramps. I had to have tests and they found certain amounts of trichloroethylene in my urine. I know health and safety officers was involved, because the vents to the tanks wasnt efficient. I had to leave and it wasnt long then when they closed down.

Yes i did my time after office hours ( bonus time motion ) on the tanks , gee didnt i know it on the way back home !!   at least it gave me extra cash , usual story " falling in love !   Nameboy  / see my write ups / many of 

On 18/02/2014 at 00:19, Jasonrobbins said:

So does anyone remeber my dad or mum from harris millers

DAVID ROBBINS

MARIE ROBBINS

Yes  I remember a Dave and he had a brother i think !  mum called Muriel .  If it was Dave you talk about i remember he liked ELO and i had a couple of nights out with him . He lived on Wybourn and worked in warehouse .  NAMEBOY SEE MY PRE MEMO,S PLEASE and are they ok 

On 10/02/2013 at 13:04, Jasonrobbins said:

hi everyone does anyone remember a My Dad David Robbins from Harris Millers he worked in warehouse and on forklift truck? he worked there from 70s though to when it closed

Yes see my response to your partners question /  NAMEBOY see pre comments cheers

On 25/11/2012 at 16:28, rthackeray said:

I worked at HM & Co for twenty years I was the manager of the Claire shop.Are you in the Shoe business still?

Hi Roy ,  that was Simon you give reference to , i worked with him See my memo,s NAMEBOY good old days ehh , still remember names clock no,s ect to this day 

On 25/11/2012 at 16:28, rthackeray said:

I worked at HM & Co for twenty years I was the manager of the Claire shop.Are you in the Shoe business still?

Hi  Roy , you reply to Ian i think , Simon came in after then myself , great days . Was Simon that went into shoes , i went down the road into accounts then into world of sales .  Simon moved to our village Dronfield and was still into shoes last time i knew him some 15 years ago .  Cards were good , and i always remember you coming for a good old cuppa in ours , made by Betty !!!!  see my stories NAMEBOY 

On 10/02/2013 at 13:04, Jasonrobbins said:

hi everyone does anyone remember a My Dad David Robbins from Harris Millers he worked in warehouse and on forklift truck? he worked there from 70s though to when it closed

Yes see my pre comments and after replies to both of you NAMEBOY

On 10/02/2013 at 13:57, denlin said:

Don't think you were on piecework, you may have got hourly rate plus bonus. Piecework was when you just got paid a percentage of the value of the work you produced but did not receive any other pay . Those days went out long before I started work in 1966

Probably he was on p work . I did the wages / bonus,s till 1976 ish and they were still in then . I used to do time and motion for the rates and work out the total sums /  maybe some were hushed for reasons !!!   Deffo was p work in Grinders / Press /

FORGE I especially remember back in Keith Taylors days / HE  manager then .  Memories fading now but see my pre memos under NAMEBOY 

On 05/06/2009 at 21:32, speeder said:

You know quite a few of the people who were there when I used to collect from Millers, used to go to school with Waity,he lives in Oughtibridge now, My mum bumped into him earlier this year, do you remember 'Chelle Staff, used to live next door to her.

Mr Hunter was our chief contact, was always on the girls case about how much they were doing

OFFICE MICHELLE / HARRY HUNTER / SEE P-MEMOS BY NAMEBOY / GOOD OL DAYS 

On 11/02/2010 at 07:33, rickhornloom said:

hi nameboy..been reading your passages with intrest...even though your time was spent in the 70s..quite a few people you have mentioned were actually still present ,when i did my time there...roy thackery was in charge within the clare shop...as i remember,he liked a drink on a friday afternoon..always stunk of booze..and came over all friendly...i got on really well with him...harry hunter (warehouse)..yes your right..a regular arthur daily character..nice guy though..tommy marsh was still hanging around the clock in office to deter anybody clocking out early..he was not very well liked around the place...old man kroutz was still there...he used to make himself comfy within the warehouse..not a very pleasant guy...grumpy actually...used to always ware a brown ,cream suit..neville was more of a friendly chap..he actually worked with me within the clare shop one day...you may remember pam..she worked within the ware house..she was partially blind...she worked near the dipper, packing cutlery...a truly great experience for me to have worked in such a place...you could write a book about the adventures i had ...sounds like you had some great times yourself...

Hi rickhornloom Nice to read your return comments / memories eh  Staysafe  NAMEBOY