Sheffield Cutlery Manufacturers

I am trying to trace information about two manufacturers of cutlery in Sheffield. The first is a company that stamped each Stainless steel item with H M & Co and the year - I have pieces dated from 1966 to 1981. The other marked a spoon I have with Sipelia Stainless Steel Sheffield England. there is also another query but it may not relate to Sheffield - the front of the Sipelia spoon is stamped Edwin Jones & Co Ltd along the handle and Coronet across it. Can anyone out there help with any of these?

Christopher

Edited by nikki-red

Originally posted by Cwgarrard

I am trying to trace information about two manufacturers of cutlery in Sheffield. The first is a company that stamped each Stainless steel item with H M & Co and the year - I have pieces dated from 1966 to 1981. The other marked a spoon I have with Sipelia Stainless Steel Sheffield England. there is also another query but it may not relate to Sheffield - the front of the Sipelia spoon is stamped Edwin Jones & Co Ltd along the handle and Coronet across it. Can anyone out there help with any of these?

Christopher

H M & Co, would be Harris Miller and Co, I am not sure what happened to them though.

Harris Miller closed down years ago. not many cutlery firms left now

Thank you both for the info - do either of you know anything about the company? For example I wonder if they supplied institutions such as NHS, Army etc. Prisons, as although I think it is wonderful cutlery it does seem very formulaic.

Christopher

Most cutlery companies had orders from the Government at one time or another, so it's a fair bet that Harris Miller did work for them.

Millers probably did supply to the Government. George Butler Cutlery Manufactuers supplied the Queen and 10 Downing Street at one time. Also had stock selling in Harrods.

I work for a cutlery manufacturer who are still going stong (thank goodness!) Harrison Fisher & co. Ltd. (a.k.a Taylors Eye Witness). :bigsmile:

Originally posted by owdlad

Most cutlery companies had orders from the Government at one time or another, so it's a fair bet that Harris Miller did work for them.

Harris millers was on Eyre St part of the offices are still there but the rest of the firm burnt down just after it closed for good (a very suspicious fire to us in the trade) Its site is at the corner of Matilda St and Eyre st its now a car park.

Any cutlery that was made for the government, no matter who made it had to mark it with an ARROW hence the arrow marks on the old prison tunics you could put on your company name too.

The name on the spoon mentioned was probably a large firm and they had a set made for the board room with their logo put on it.

Originally posted by sezemeseeds

Millers probably did supply to the Government. George Butler Cutlery Manufactuers supplied the Queen and 10 Downing Street at one time. Also had stock selling in Harrods.

Well hello sezemeseeds, I dont know if you remember me but I worked at Butlers and we also supplied all the Namibian Embassy`s through out the world, the singer Lulu also bought our products. A canteen was bought by the Boy Scouts Association to present to the Great footballer Stanley Mathews.

The Hudson Bay Company in Canada bought 12 inch butchers knives to sell to the Eskimos ( or should it be Inuits now) to use for cutting snow for igloos.

I remember some stroppy girl that worked in the final inspection at Butlers but her name escapes me now.

I gave a copy of the son of George Butlers indenture dated 1680 if anyone wants to see it I gave it to the social history section at the City Library.

I have a teaspoon with H M & Co England Britsh Airways. So they must have made the cutlery for the airline.

Christopher

I have a teaspoon with H M & Co England Britsh Airways on the handle. So they must have made cutlery for the airline.