'Tetley Bittermen' (and possibly ladies too) in Sheffield

How about Tetley's and go for the prestigious 'Best pint of Tetley's in Yorkshire' award?

What a challenge, Bilge. After all those years at Tetley's I should get it right, be in for some right stick if I don't :hihi:

Claire

The best pint ever, bar none, was the Tetleys served up in the long gone Smiths Arms, Marsh Lane, Leeds in the mid to late eighties.

The best pint I ever had outside Leeds was in a country pub in the heart of Hertfordshire, where punters were more than likely to own a horse or several.

A greater contrast between the two, you couldn't hope to find.

The best pint ever, bar none, was the Tetleys served up in the long gone Smiths Arms, Marsh Lane, Leeds in the mid to late eighties.

The best pint I ever had outside Leeds was in a country pub in the heart of Hertfordshire, where punters were more than likely to own a horse or several.

A greater contrast between the two, you couldn't hope to find.

Sounds great. Anywhere you've had a decent one recently? In Sheff or anywhere else?

Had a great pint of cask Tetley Bitter in The Fleece on Fartown, in Pudsey last week. The Sportsman at Norton Lees (Warminster Road) does a good one too.

Sadly, Tetley's are being closed by owners, Carlsberg. Production of the beer is being moved to Nottingham I think.

Do Tetley still make Imperial?

Hah! I remember the Smith's Arms. One of the many pubs which vanished in the early 90s for road-widening schemes and the like.

I used to love tetleys. These days however it's hard to find a decent pint of it anywhere and I work in Leeds which used to be full of places able to knock it out by the gallon!

Sounds great. Anywhere you've had a decent one recently? In Sheff or anywhere else?

Nothing remotely in the same league. Nothing really resembling the same sport.

The sort of beer you could put away 8 pints in 2 and a half hours and have no idea that you'd done so, until abject failure to negotiate the steps on the way out alerted you. I've always been a steady half an hour a pint person, but this was a different ball-game altogether.

Sorry to hear the beer in Leeds has gone so far downhill, Leeds didn't have much else going for it apart from the football and that went much the same way.

The one and only place where I worked behind a bar .... nearly twenty years ago .....

Was that when John or Terry was landlord? It was the proximity to this pub which swung my decision to buy a house on Mona Road.

I've always loved the hand drawn Tetleys in the Princess Royal on Slinn St, Crookes.

Yes not a bad pint - I don't go in there much these days since Terry left a year ago - up until then I was in most nights.

Bridge inn at thurgoland does a good pint of cask tetleys,also has a guest beer on which is usually green king ipa, we go there probably once a week and havent had a bad pint yet.

Well, had a so-so pint of Tets in the Scarborough, outside Leeds station the other night. Leeds is not really trying very hard, I'm sure Sheff can claim the title.

So I'll be doing some serious research in the run-up to Chrimbo and will be giving my vote to a local hostelry before the end of the year. I advise everyone else to do the same.

So clean up those pipes landlords, and let the creamy stuff flow forth.

.......Sadly, Tetley's are being closed by owners, Carlsberg. Production of the beer is being moved to Nottingham I think.....

Ridiculous, scandalous. Much like Boddies closing down in Strangeways, or Stones/Wards here in Sheff.

I love all the new little breweries but the big city brweries were great too. I like how they dictated the signage and architecture of pubs, indeed the whole pub experience for a region. Monopolistic I suppose, but if they sold decent ale I didn't mind. The John Smith's estate though was stalinism, I've never forgiven them for all that awful keg stuff and can't really be doing with John Smith's cask because of that underlying hatred - even though it's not a bad pint I suppose.