'Tetley Bittermen' (and possibly ladies too) in Sheffield

Are you or were you one? If so, where was, and is, the best pint of handpulled Tetley's in Sheffield? Or did you always hate the stuff?

I know it can divide opinion among cask ale fans then as now (it's 'chemical beer' said my dad), but in the 1970s and 1980s Tetley Bitter (brewed in Leeds mind, not the Warrington rubbish) was the thing that got me hooked on proper beer. Creamy, coolish and much like 'draught' Guinness in consistency, with a distinctive taste (it always reminded me of banana!) and amber colour. Not too strong so you could have several, it was the true 'session ale' when sessions seemd the normal thing to do after you clocked off at the foundry/pit/factory/college/shop/school/dole office or before Sunday dinner.

This is the pint to which I compare all cask beer.

The TV adverts were ludicrous and laughably sexist, but memorable. The huntsman logo on the pumps and lanterns were a welcome signal of nice beer for me, so I still like to see them even though the redcoated gentry on horseback was always an ulikely image for the urban North.

But I have to say it's often a disappointing pint these days - even in the Leeds/Bradford area (indeed even in the Adelphi next door to the brewery!). The only place where i've had a pint like it used to be was in the Redoubt, off Westgate in Wakefield. I'll have to go there again soon, but would welcome a Sheff place with a comparable pint. Fagan's is pretty good but is it the best?

Ive never found a good pint of tetley bitter, but have had lovely pints of tetley dark mild

Fagans, D&P, Bath Hotel all serve decent pints, consistently though I'd have to say the Three Tuns probably pips them all. Bare in mind it is now owned (in whatever sense) by what I believe was an ex-Tetley's area rep or something similar (along with White Lion, Heeley and Ranmoor Inn).

Edited by Starquake

Fagans, D&P, Bath Hotel all serve decent pints, consistently though I'd have to say the Three Tuns probably pips them all. Bear in mind it is now owned (in whatever sense) by what I believe was an ex-Tetley's area rep or something similar (along with White Lion, Heeley and Ranmoor Inn).

All good suggestions, haven't been in the 3 Tuns for a while as I often forget it's there due to it being down the hill a bit. Yes the Ranmoor had a creamy pint of Tetley's last time I went. DnP = fair.

Cremorne is usually fairly good, Red Deer hit and miss. Washington? Not great, think I usually have Moonshine in there. Porter Cottage - doesn't have Tets any more i don't think? Banner Cross must be a candidate. Walkley Cottage?

Head retention is the clincher though - do you get rings round the glass as you drink it? If not then it's not quite right.

All good suggestions, haven't been in the 3 Tuns for a while as I often forget it's there due to it being down the hill a bit. Yes the Ranmoor had a creamy pint of Tetley's last time I went. DnP = fair.

Cremorne is usually fairly good, Red Deer hit and miss. Washington? Not great, think I usually have Moonshine in there. Porter Cottage - doesn't have Tets any more i don't think? Banner Cross must be a candidate. Walkley Cottage?

Head retention is the clincher though - do you get rings round the glass as you drink it? If not then it's not quite right.

Red Deer - not even sure what state the pub is in these days, not had a pint of Tets in the others recently so can't comment.

I've always loved the hand drawn Tetleys in the Princess Royal on Slinn St, Crookes.

I've always loved the hand drawn Tetleys in the Princess Royal on Slinn St, Crookes.

I've yet to brave this place. I always imagine it'll be a Slaughtered Lamb (from American Werewolf) type pub like some of the other backstreet Walkley/Crookes places. Guess I'll defo have to go there now.

On a separate note i've just had a tremendous pint of Ruddle's Bitter in the Springvale. Very creamy, good head retention with rings down the glass, lovely it was. Flippin' Southern beer though of course.

On a separate note i've just had a tremendous pint of Ruddle's Bitter in the Springvale. Very creamy, good head retention with rings down the glass, lovely it was. Flippin' Southern beer though of course.

Thank you Bilge, it's a pleasure to be recognised for keeping a good pint.

On a further note, we are having real ale pumps fitted on the Old Crown on Penistone Road next week. We have been biten by 'the bug' again after re opening the Springvale and working with real ale again. After many years of working for Tetley's and having a cellar full of cask, it's been fantastic getting away from the keg side of things, which we have been working with for the past couple of years and have decided to give it a try in The Crown. We are having two pumps fitted to start with, and would welcome any suggestions for popular ales at the moment. For the past few weeks we have been running with Ruddles, Green King IPA and Shepherd Neame Spitfire at The Springvale so would like something different.

Claire & Barry

The one and only place where I worked behind a bar .... nearly twenty years ago .....

Ive never found a good pint of tetley bitter, but have had lovely pints of tetley dark mild

I always remember that going back some time, the Red Deer always had Tetley's Mild (not Dark Mild) on. I always liked the beer in there (though not always the prices in times of yore!), and let's face it, it had 25 continuous years in the Good Beer Guide.

I do seem to remember though that the only pub in Yorkshire which got 100% for its Tetley's Bitter (as per the brewery's mystery drinker) some time ago was the Star & Garter. Times had changed the last time I went in, but again, to be fair, that was about three years ago.

I always remember that going back some time, the Red Deer always had Tetley's Mild (not Dark Mild) on. I always liked the beer in there (though not always the prices in times of yore!), and let's face it, it had 25 continuous years in the Good Beer Guide.

I do seem to remember though that the only pub in Yorkshire which got 100% for its Tetley's Bitter (as per the brewery's mystery drinker) some time ago was the Star & Garter. Times had changed the last time I went in, but again, to be fair, that was about three years ago.

Yes the mild was nice. What about Tetley Gilmour's Bitter? Very rare and never seemed all that special when I did find it.

Star and Garter was indeed a nice pint of Tets, but when I went a a few months ago the one cask ale they had (not Tetleys) was like vinegar and the place was very dirty. Shame.

Thank you Bilge, it's a pleasure to be recognised for keeping a good pint.

On a further note, we are having real ale pumps fitted on the Old Crown on Penistone Road next week. We have been biten by 'the bug' again after re opening the Springvale and working with real ale again. After many years of working for Tetley's and having a cellar full of cask, it's been fantastic getting away from the keg side of things, which we have been working with for the past couple of years and have decided to give it a try in The Crown. We are having two pumps fitted to start with, and would welcome any suggestions for popular ales at the moment. For the past few weeks we have been running with Ruddles, Green King IPA and Shepherd Neame Spitfire at The Springvale so would like something different.

Claire & Barry

How about Tetley's and go for the prestigious 'Best pint of Tetley's in Yorkshire' award?