Jail threat for urinating student

I do think this is going too far now

yeah i agree, they're now just taking the pee

The guy went out , got very drunk and did something very very stupid. I am sure that he is very ashamed of what he did. He did not intentionally attempt to pour scorn on the memory of people who died for our country. Community hours would be appropriate, a jail sentence would NOT be justified.

How do you know this? were you with him ? have you spoken to this lowlife scum ?

Also how do you know whats is appropriate? are you a judge ?

I just hope he gets a judge ex forces old skool type

anyone who seriously thinks that a jail sentence is justice is seriously mentally retarded.

Just another article to fuel the nethanderal hate mobs.

The punishment should fit the crime, make him clean the whole monument (with a toothbrush) while wearing a COMMUNITY PAYBACK vest, I'm sure he would think twice next time drunk or not.

I do think this is going too far now

Yes, absolutely ridiculous.

If half the people whining about this held themselves to the same standard they'd be in prison or hanged by now.

A massive overreaction if ever I saw one.

Students need to be taught a lesson in respect. This incident as well as numerous reports of damage to cars during other **** ups.

Also I know many people who have kids at university but who very rarely go to lectures - they should be made to attend and kicked out if not.

Perhaps prison is a bit harsh but will certainly send out a strong message to those who think Uni is an excuse to drink away tax payer's money!

Great stuff perhaps there is justice after all?

After reading your comments about the Goth bride, I can only think that you really are a nasty piece of work....

Oh. OK then. If you say so, Judge Dredd.

See, if you'd read a bit further and not jumped in so quickly, you'd have seen why it's not going too far!:D

This is just getting stupid now.There are people who have committed much worse offence's than he has and they don't go to prison and he has no previous criminal record so why should he be sent to prison.There are many more suitable punishment for him than prison.

It is not like he has beat up some old dear for drug money.

This is just getting stupid now.There are people who have committed much worse offence's than he has and they don't go to prison and he has no previous criminal record so why should he be sent to prison.There are many more suitable punishment for him than prison.

THE JUDGE HAS NOT SAID HE'S GOING TO PRISON, IT'S JUST AN OPTION THAT A CRIME OF THIS NATURE HAS.

Sorry for shouting but there seems to be a lack of understanding in this thread :D

The Star haven't made that much of effort this time to disguise his c*ck on their photo today.

I'm disgusted by the way in which this whole thing has been dealt with. (Not by what the judge said, I understand that!)

I have seen groups on FB saying 'Hang Philip Laing' and 'Jail Philip Laing' I saw one comment which read: 'I hope he gets cancer on Christmas Day and dies in front of his parents' WTF?!

He got drunk, he did something incredibly stupid and disrespectful but seriously, there are worse crimes and I expect he's learned his lesson not only from the humiliation but also from the threat of losing his place at uni, changing his whole life. I know someone close to him and he's actually a pretty good lad who was doing well at uni.

Don't get me wrong I don't mean to trivialise what he did, but he didn't actually harm anyone directly, not like so many rapists and abusive parents/husbands/wives, murderers etc. that nobody ever even hears about.

Whilst he does need to take responsibility for his own actions, I think more of the blame for this needs to be laid at the door of the so called establishments who allow students to drink themselves stupid into the early hours of the morning. They're not supposed to serve people if it's clear they've had enough but all they see is money.

Why not blame Carnage UK which is the most ridiculous idea I've ever heard of - offering discount prices on club entry and drinks at various places for the price of their ticket and then sends thousands of students out into the town to drink themselves stupid on an all night bender. It's a money making gimic that is making its founders rich and literally leaving 'carnage' everywhere else.

I have huge respect for anyone who has fought for us in the past and who is now, my parents were both in the army and I owe my life to those brave soldiers who died for us, but this really does seem like a huge error of judgement made in a drunken state and I'm absolutely disgusted by some people's attitudes to it.

I strongly doubt that many of our much respected soldiers would've strung up a young lad with a promising future for getting drunk and doing something really stupid.