Your thoughts - independent shops over chains and large retailers

hi there,

I'm looking for some comments about independant shops you like in sheff.

comments on any of the below would be great for an art project...

1. favourite independent shops in sheffield and why?

2. what independant shops offer over large retailers?

3. Any nice/interesting/funny/strange stories re shopping you'd like to share

4. Anyone who's been shopping in the same shop for years and knows them well.

You can send me a message or reply here :)

Cheers!

Collard and Manson (mason?)

Rude Shipyard

Natural Bed Company

Well, I don't have any money, and I haven't been shopping recently. The last time I went in one was to buy a new wig. But anyway , in independant shops they have staff that don't look like they've all come out of some cloning device.

Edited by Rah Rah Rah

I love the independent shops and don't think there are enough of them. Favourites include

Mooch @ Broomhill

Design Studio

ORA

Chi Chi @ Dronfield

Mookah

Rio

Within Reason

Collard & Manson

I like the individuality, the personal service and being able to buy unusual gifts, I have been shopping in Chris Lawrences shops for the last 30 yrs in various places

For DIY and hardware stuff you cant beat Arnold Laver on Little London road, opposite Stokes paints

the staff there know what they are on about and most have been there for years, not like BnQ and the others where you get served by some spotty youth who cant string a sentence together

Richardsons DIY, hardware and timber yard, Firth Park.

I've been shopping there since I moved to Sheffield 23 years ago. The staff know what they're talking about!! I can go in and tell them what it is I want to do, and they will advise me on what tools I need and the best way to do it. And they don't sell me the most expensive bit of kit in the shop if it's just for a one-off job.

You can buy nails by the pound - works out much cheaper than those stupid little plastic bags of 'em that you get in the big DIY shops. They keep a couple of boxes of "odd bits", so when I needed a couple of those plastic shelf support things, I got them for free.

I've got to know the staff and am regularly updated with photos of one of them's first grandchild and they sympathise with my various ailments. :hihi:

hi there,

I'm looking for some comments about independant shops you like in sheff.

comments on any of the below would be great for an art project...

1. favourite independent shops in sheffield and why?

Hewitts Eccy Road.

2. what independant shops offer over large retailers?

They've always beaten or got close to any price I've found in larger stores or online, I can pickup directly and have somewhere to go if it goes wrong.