Error loading operating system

conver/born winner: when i go into the bios and look at the "main" the "serial ATA master recognises the hard drive that is in

neeeeeeeeeek: yes that is the exact error message that is on my screen,

my old drive was a seagate baracuda 7200,

have not changed anything else and yes i just pluged the new one straight into where the old one was.

The old drive crashed and wouldnt let me even format it which is why i got a new one thinkng that it was the harddrive at fault.

i have tried pressing F8 but dont get the option of safe mode

incase you havent noticed i am a bit of a novice when it comes to this stuff my dad used to sort all the computer stuff when it went wrong!! (he's not here anymore hence me trying to do it!!!!!!!!!)

i'm tired of people saying that XP doesn't support SATA, since Service pack 2 (and any retail XP since then, which has SP2 or newer integrated) it supports ALL common SATA setups and alot of the common (dell) raid setups out of the box. the XP I use (Retail, +SP3) has worked on every machine I have thrown it in up to now, and I know there's no extra stuff thrown in as I integrated SP3 myself (It was retail SP2 to start with)

I have now added an internal cd drive and tried once again to load windows......it goes through the process of checking the computer asking me where i want to install windows etc then reboots and then.......NOTHING i don't even get the error message now just a blank screen. I have tried to boot from the cd again so that it may take me back to the windows setup screen but....NOTHING!!!!!! AAAARRRGGGGHHHHH

anybody have anymore ideas?????

YOURS

SOON TO BE BALD!!!!!

Not a bad disc is it?

do you meen bad hard disc or bad windows disc?????

I have no way of knowing if the windows disc is faulty as I don't have another one to try!!!!

thank you for the offer of lending me a disc, the only problem is that i live in MALLORCA, SPAIN and I need it fixed asap!!! with the current postal system in the uk that could be any time between now and 3 years next tuesday lol:hihi:

I now think it has gone from bad to WORSE!!!!!!

I turn the compter on and press F8 but then it dosen't matter if I ask it to boot from the cd or the hard-drive i get NOTHING-ZILCH-NADA, Just a black screen

WHAT THE HELL HAS HAPPENED NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:huh::rant:

seems its not recognizing the windows cd and than changes over to hard drive but with being empty thats why maybe the black screen as nothing to load from hard drive

I now think it has gone from bad to WORSE!!!!!!

I turn the compter on and press F8 but then it dosen't matter if I ask it to boot from the cd or the hard-drive i get NOTHING-ZILCH-NADA, Just a black screen

WHAT THE HELL HAS HAPPENED NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:huh::rant: