Error loading operating system

hope someone can help!!!!!

I have just got a new hard drive (WD 500GB Caviar Internal Hard Drive 16MB cache)

I have tried to install my windows xp and now i get "error loading operating system" I have tried pressing F8, F6, F12, Del but nothing, I have an external cd/dvd drive i can get to the menu by pressing F12 and select for it to read the cd drive but NOTHING, this is now driving me insane and i now have no clue on what to do next

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Edited by GJ2004
updateing

is this an error loading from the CD or an error loading the XP you just installed ?

What happened when you 'tried to install' your windows XP?

Did it all install ok, or did you get error messages?

Sounds like it has not installed properly, for whatever reason.

Personally, I'd start again.

is this an error loading from the CD or an error loading the XP you just installed ?

the message came up after i had installed xp onto the new had-drive

What happened when you 'tried to install' your windows XP?

Did it all install ok, or did you get error messages?

Sounds like it has not installed properly, for whatever reason.

Personally, I'd start again.

the first install was faulty so i tried again and it went in 100% but i still get the message

just in case it makes a difference, I am using an external usb cd/dvd drive

just in case it makes a difference, I am using an external usb cd/dvd drive

It's not still trying to load from tyour empty cd drive is it?

It might be worthwhile checking that your BIOS is setup correctly.

Is it a IDE or SATA drive? How did you start the windows install? Did it give you the option to format and partition the drive after windows loaded all the initial setup files? You say it installed, did it reboot after doing the initial setup, then carry on? did you get to set the regional sellings?

Does the machine still boot if you put your old drive in/ why were you creating a fresh install on a new drive?

Is it a IDE or SATA drive? How did you start the windows install? Did it give you the option to format and partition the drive after windows loaded all the initial setup files? You say it installed, did it reboot after doing the initial setup, then carry on? did you get to set the regional sellings?

Does the machine still boot if you put your old drive in/ why were you creating a fresh install on a new drive?

it is a sata drive,

I started the windows install by putting the windows disc into the external cd/dvd drive, starting the computer, pressing f8 and selecting the cd/dvd drive to boot.

yes it did give me the option to format and partition the drive.

yes it rebooted after the initial setup, but it did not carry on thats when it came up and said error loadig operating system

no the old drive wouldnt boot which is why i got another drive (plus i wanted more space)

the fresh install was because it came with nothing on it i.e windows was not loaded

See if there is a setting in your bios to run the SATA drives in compatability mode. IF so choose it.

Otherwise you might need to download the SATA controller drivers from the web, and put them on floppy / CD. Then you'll need to do a re-install and choose F6 (IIRC) to specify additional SCSI / Disk drivers during the firt part of the build.

xp doesnt see sata automatically.. as convert says there should be a setting in the bios, it should be in IDE native mode..

Is that the exact error or your rough interpretation of it? Was your old drive SATA? Have you changed anything else or just plugged the drive into the same port and cable the old one was connetced to? What went wrong woth the old drive? Could it be something else at fault... Try what convert says but if you installed the old one OK I can't see why you would have issues with the new one if it's still a SATA drive on the same cable. Did you do the old install or was it already there?

Also keep pressing F8 on Startup and see if you get the options for safe mode, I am not convinced it's even trying to load from the new drive. If you disconnect the new drive and try and boot the computer do you get the same error? The thing about drivers convert suggests might be worth a try, usually though windows will either see the SATA controller or not see it.