Do you have nice neighbours?

:help: Hi. I have a disabled friend who lives on quite a 'nice' street in Meersbrook (lots of young professionals/teachers/charity workers). They have totally shunned her beacause of her disablity. What would you do? I simply don't understand some people's mentaility. :huh:

I have nice neighbours- they keep themselves to themselves. The way I like it. I sent one side a christmas card with our phone number on it, because the old mans had a fall a few times, and partners gone round to help- thought it'd be easier if they could phone.

The other sides another young couple.

Have you witnessed this "shunning"and what form does it take

My guess is she is better being shunned on a nice street that haveing her windows bricked and the micky taken on some of the streets out there

Weve lived on our street 15 years and i know the names of about four couples ,either side and the two across ,mixture of proffessionals,teachers ,police officers and the like .All good people but i dont feel the need to get to know anybody eles on the street

Have you witnessed this "shunning"and what form does it take

My guess is she is better being shunned on a nice street that haveing her windows bricked and the micky taken on some of the streets out there

Yes, I have witnessed their behaviour and it really is quite unpleasant to see. The irony is that she is a really nice woman and looks out for one of the old people on the street (sends Christmas cards/looks in on her to make sure she is ok).

I just wish we could have more of a sense of community like in the War (without having to have the blitz to bring out the spirit of 'neighbourliness', that is!).

Edited by Tonto3
Speling, as per

i used to live on a nice council estate years ago,everyone knew each other and got together for special occasions,we used to have a big bomb fire on a field that all the familys went too,and even a street party for charles and diannas wedding.now i live on a main road and i'm lucky to see my neighbours twice a week. i like it that way tho.you dont have to be friends with them because they live next door.

Yes, I have witnessed their behaviour and it really is quite unpleasant to see. The irony is that she is a really nice woman and looks out for one of the old people on the street (sends Christmas cards/looks in on her to make sure she is ok).

I just wish we could have more of a sense of community like in the War (without having to have the blitz to bring out the spirit of 'neighbourliness', that is!).

that's it,there's no community spirit anymore,people like to keep themselves to themselves.

Have you considered having a word with them on her behalf ,is her problem physical or mental ,not prying but as an individual i find physical disability easier to deal with than mental problems ,perhaps they just need to meet her and get to know her .Sorry if some of my teminology seems offensive I am just using laymans terms cos thats all I know

One to the right is very friendly, one to the left is very petty when it comes to parking, and she has two cars, so she already makes it difficult. We have some new naighbours, across the road, and she has already offered to rent out the garage to me once it's back to shape. Most of them are very nosey and petty, but a few are kind and will always say hi!

:help: Hi. I have a disabled friend who lives on quite a 'nice' street in Meersbrook (lots of young professionals/teachers/charity workers). They have totally shunned her beacause of her disablity. What would you do? I simply don't understand some people's mentaility. :huh:

I don't understand what you mean by 'shunned' . I'm guessing you mean that people are just getting on with thier lives and not actively making friends with her?

I personally would not want to be friends with my neighbours. I'm happy to watch their house when they are away/ help with garden if they are ill and I'm doing my own garden and generally be considerate and acknowledge them. We have little chats if I see them washing the car/ gardening and I'm passing, but I'd never invite them in for a cuppa or knock on their door for a chat :lol: and I'm sure they feel the same way :)

How?, do you know that.