How do i restore my pc to factory settings?

just got a new laptop and want to sell my old pc. but do i have to delete anything off of it as i dont want ther to be any thing on it still like passwords and user ids. dont really know much about comps so could do with abit of advice.

I run a PC repair business in Sheffield so I do this on a very regular basis. It's a simple job if you have some knowledge of how computers work. If you're a complete novice, then you're probably best leaving it for a professional.

1) Boot from an XP SP3 OEM disc.

2) Erase the existing partition, create a new one, format it using NTFS (Quick) option.

3) Let the install do its thing, it will reboot automatically after copying Setup files to disk.

4) Throughout the Install process you will be prompted for several things:

- Your name (probably best to use something generic such as USER).

- Your license key - this is the product key found on the label with a barcode, should be somewhere on the computer itself. Usually on the side if its a tower and on the bottom if its a laptop.

- Keyboard and Language settings

- Time Zone settings

- Network settings

Once all this is done, it will finish installing shortly and your machine will reboot again. Make sure it doesn't reboot from the disc again. At this stage you can eject the CD tray anyway.

And now you should have a clean install of XP. The procedure is basically the same for Vista, but you'll need a Vista OEM disc instead.

Do not use the restore discs that came with your machine - they will be full of crapware and other junk you don't need. Also, they are unlikely to already have SP3 on them.

Hope that helps. You can always send me a PM if you require more assistance.

You've got to put your space suit on, blow yourself into the airlock and pull out all them see through perspex blocks accompanied by heavy breathing and somebody singing Daisy Daisy dead slow.

The most secure way of deleting your private data, is to destroy the Hard drive, smash it with a hammer, burn it, run over it with a tank, then use some junior hacksaw blades and cut it into a thousand pieces.

Seriously, take out the hard drive, destroy it, and install another cheap one - sorted.

Lots of ppl are actualy doing it scarby,s way but you could then use it in a caddy as a external backup.Not hard to get data back if you follow advise above if somone realy wanted too that is.