Waiting for a council property

I dont see why not. Under the current scheme there is no way of returning a property to be rerented unless the tenant leaves of their own will or is evicted. Introducing a tenancy agreement of say 24 months with a review after that period would probably alieviate some of the shortage.

But one main idea of social housing is long term secure tenancies.

Give it 25 years. This week's Council property paper shows that several properties were let to people who applied for a property in 1981 / 82 /83.

I know the system for letting to people with waiting time but without any need but doesn't it seem crazy that the decision on who gets a house depends on who happened to apply for a home a quarter of a century ago and not on their present needs. For a start , it means that no-one under 40 has a chance for those properties.

Iagree my sons have ther name down to share a 2 bedroomed house both have access to their children so they want a house with a garden,fine exept all the properties in the council paper say bids only from over 40 were do they expect the rest of the people younger than 40 to live,they have been waiting 3 and a half years its so annoying especially when you see houses boarded up for months

I dont see why not. Under the current scheme there is no way of returning a property to be rerented unless the tenant leaves of their own will or is evicted. Introducing a tenancy agreement of say 24 months with a review after that period would probably alieviate some of the shortage.

How so? We'd just have the situation you get in Montreal, where everyone move house on the same day, Utter chaos!!!

Anyway, what's wrong with wanting to put roots down? I had enough of moving every 9/12 months way-back-when, when I was a student.

How so? We'd just have the situation you get in Montreal, where everyone move house on the same day, Utter chaos!!!

Anyway, what's wrong with wanting to put roots down? I had enough of moving every 9/12 months way-back-when, when I was a student.

Because of the shortage of property. 24 months would be adequate time for alternative plans to be made. The 24 months would allow people the time to settle down sort out their finances and plan the next step. Relying on council property as a long term/permenant housing solution is part of the reason that there is a shortage in property.

There are plenty of people taking up council housing stock who are perfectly capable of renting in the private sector. The 24 monthly reviews would weed out these tenants and ensure that they have a good turn over of tenants and provide a service to those in most need.

I dont see where your everyone moving on the same day scenario has come from. Tennacy agreements can and do start on different dates. Not everyone with an agreement has it start on exactly the same day.

Iagree my sons have ther name down to share a 2 bedroomed house both have access to their children so they want a house with a garden,fine exept all the properties in the council paper say bids only from over 40 were do they expect the rest of the people younger than 40 to live,they have been waiting 3 and a half years its so annoying especially when you see houses boarded up for months

HOUSES can't be age banded, so most of your argument about the system being unfair for under 40's falls down. It's only flats that are age-banded.

Because of the shortage of property. 24 months would be adequate time for alternative plans to be made. The 24 months would allow people the time to settle down sort out their finances and plan the next step. Relying on council property as a long term/permenant housing solution is part of the reason that there is a shortage in property.

There are plenty of people taking up council housing stock who are perfectly capable of renting in the private sector. The 24 monthly reviews would weed out these tenants and ensure that they have a good turn over of tenants and provide a service to those in most need.

I dont see where your everyone moving on the same day scenario has come from. Tennacy agreements can and do start on different dates. Not everyone with an agreement has it start on exactly the same day.

Would the properties not become run down quickly if they had different tennants moving in and out every 24 months? As I have said before one main factor of social housing is that it gives people security with long term secure tenancies. If you moved into a property with the view of only staying 24 months I don't think you'd take great care of it and treat it as "home" it would be more of a stop gap. No one would decorate them and make them theirs as they wouldn't be. Of course people living in concil accomodation now, the property is still the concils but they have the satisfaction of knowing that unles they do something mega wrong they won't be moved on and so decorate and make them home. Me for example.

Would the properties not become run down quickly if they had different tennants moving in and out every 24 months? As I have said before one main factor of social housing is that it gives people security with long term secure tenancies. If you moved into a property with the view of only staying 24 months I don't think you'd take great care of it and treat it as "home" it would be more of a stop gap. No one would decorate them and make them theirs as they wouldn't be. Of course people living in concil accomodation now, the property is still the concils but they have the satisfaction of knowing that unles they do something mega wrong they won't be moved on and so decorate and make them home. Me for example.

The council will have a window between tenancy agreements to carry out any maintenance or repairs necessary to the properties. The 24 monthly review would not necessarily end in the tenant being moved on. If they could prove that the still needed the property then the agreement could be extended for a further period of say 12 months. Peoples needs change over time. Someone who needs a 3 bed home now may only need a 2 bed or even 1 bed home in 2 years time.

There are plans to start building council houses again. 139000 over the next 10 years across England. http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2009/jul/06/council-housing-boom-england

No more big estates though, but small clusters within different neighbourhoods, and mainly family sized homes. I just hope if the Right to Buy is maintained, these new homes are priced at near market value.

The council will have a window between tenancy agreements to carry out any maintenance or repairs necessary to the properties. The 24 monthly review would not necessarily end in the tenant being moved on. If they could prove that the still needed the property then the agreement could be extended for a further period of say 12 months. Peoples needs change over time. Someone who needs a 3 bed home now may only need a 2 bed or even 1 bed home in 2 years time.

Trouble is some people live in these 2/3 bedroom houses all their lives, it's their home and they don't want to move on and providing they are paying the rent on times then if they want to stay I don't think they should be moved on. But maybe some people would like to move on to downsize, an elderly couple for instance whose family have grown up, surley they would benefit from lower rents, maybe the council should contact such people and maybe ask them if it's something they'd consider but if they don't want to you can't force them.

Trouble is some people live in these 2/3 bedroom houses all their lives, it's their home and they don't want to move on and providing they are paying the rent on times then if they want to stay I don't think they should be moved on. But maybe some people would like to move on to downsize, an elderly couple for instance whose family have grown up, surley they would benefit from lower rents, maybe the council should contact such people and maybe ask them if it's something they'd consider but if they don't want to you can't force them.

The term is 'under occupation' when there is one person/couple in a family sized property. If there were enough bungalows in the right areas, especially with two bedrooms, then I think many older folk would jump at the chance. But I'm over 60, and if I was a tenant and a small flat or bedsit was my only option, I'd stay put.

A saving on rent is very rarely a concern, as the majority of elderly council tenants claim housing benefit.

Disregard the above message!

Priority is awarded according to your rehousing NEED. If you have no medical issues and don't require a bungalow or ground floor flat, then why would you try and get medical priority?

If someone is homeless, they need to go to the Homeless Service in Howden House. If someone can no longer stay in their current property due to overcrowding, anti-social behaviour, domestic violence etc. then they need to approach thier local housing office to speak to someone.

The only time you would get a doctor or health visitor involved is if your property was not suitable for your medical or mobility need. If you were awarded this priority then you would be expected to bid for ground floor flats, bungalows and adapted houses.

i never had medical issues or anything i was a lone parent and my health visitor helped me move as i was not happy where i was living !!!

i never had medical issues or anything i was a lone parent and my health visitor helped me move as i was not happy where i was living !!!

when you say not happy were you depressed, harrassed, If it was purely because you didn't like the area or house then this isn't really a reason to be moved.

If your health visitor was doing you a "favour" then you may have recieved help when you wasn't in need and this is deception.

Also were you moved from a council property, private sector or were you living with friends or family.

Apologies if I have the wrong end of the stick but you make it sound very suspicious how you obtained a property.:huh: