Waiting for a council property

who is more at priority for rented council house's?

Give it 25 years. This week's Council property paper shows that several properties were let to people who applied for a property in 1981 / 82 /83.

I know the system for letting to people with waiting time but without any need but doesn't it seem crazy that the decision on who gets a house depends on who happened to apply for a home a quarter of a century ago and not on their present needs. For a start , it means that no-one under 40 has a chance for those properties.

The people who are registered as 1981/82/83 are maybe people who got a two bedrom house when and have since had more children and need a bigger house and have used there waiting time to do so? Or maybe there people with 3 beds whose children have moved on and there down sizing? When you get your first property there is nothing to stop you re-registering and bidding in the future, be it 5 years or 20+. That's the thing see, not everyone on the waiting list is "waiting", it's just an in-case. Me for example got a 2 bed house 2 and a half years ago and straight away re-registered. I'm not in need of a 3 bed but in the next 5 years I will be, by which time I'll have 7 and a half years time.

As for the original post, how long does it take - depends how many people are on on the registeration with you. If your single or a couple wanting a flat, maybe up to 1year if your not fussy on area?

If you have no priority and are waiting for a house then maybe up to 10 years maybe more depending on area etc.

Disregard the above message!

The only time you would get a doctor or health visitor involved is if your property was not suitable for your medical or mobility need. If you were awarded this priority then you would be expected to bid for ground floor flats, bungalows and adapted houses.

We had priority status a while ago and were awarded a 3 bedroom house which had 15 steep stpes up to the front door, my husband had had an accident at work and would have no way been able to manage these steps and we had to get a letter from the hospital/doctor to prove this so we could turn the property down but still keep priority status. We were then offered a 2 bed level access property which we gladly accepted.

Dont bother, your wasting your time. Sheffield has the longest waiting list in the UK and unless theres something wrong with you, theres no reason to try and obtain one from the local authority.

Whilst this may not be the best worded post ever there is a certain element of truth with in it (somewhere)

Council housing given to priority cases is dished out based on the needs of these people. Waiting time properties which account for approx. 25% of lets are dished out on the amount of time you have waited. The fact is that the vast majority of people on the waiting list have no immediate need to be be rehoused and just WANT a council house. There is for the vast majority of the population no NEED to have a council house, but only a WANT to rent one. Takeaway that option and most would happily just rent in the private sector.

Myself and my partner have 10 years waiting time 2 girls aged 12 and 10 soon to be 11 and 13 and a boy due in the next 6 weeks I have been told by the council there is no point bidding on more than a 2 bed property as I won't even be considered. Not holding out much chance of being housed any time soon!

Edited by bec265silver

Myself and my partner have 10 years waiting time 2 girls aged 12 and 10 soon to be 11 and 13 and a boy due in the next 6 weeks I have been told by the council there is no point bidding on more than a 2 bed property as I won't even be considered. Not holding out much chance of being housed any time soon!

So why have another child and create an overcrowded situation?

Well the baby can stay in your room until it's 6 months anway, possibily up to being around 1 year but then really they should be looking at rehousing you to 3 beds I'd say?

So why have another child and create an overcrowded situation?

To get a bigger council house and more benefits?

To get a bigger council house and more benefits?

Maybe she didn't plan it, things happen, OK not often but they do.

Having first hand experience of working with people in her situation, these "accidents" happen far to much for me to think of them as such.

Having first hand experience of working with people in her situation, these "accidents" happen far to much for me to think of them as such.

I'd say 9 times out of 10 it's most likely not but it does happen.

Maybe she should have been more careful if her current home was already crowded.