Waiting for a council property

does anyone know how long it takes to get a council property,ive been on the waiting list for almost 4 1/2 years im bidding like mad but still nothing ??:confused:

Give it 25 years. This week's Council property paper shows that several properties were let to people who applied for a property in 1981 / 82 /83.

I know the system for letting to people with waiting time but without any need but doesn't it seem crazy that the decision on who gets a house depends on who happened to apply for a home a quarter of a century ago and not on their present needs. For a start , it means that no-one under 40 has a chance for those properties.

hi i went to the council last week they said for a 2 bed house its minimum of 5 years so if you want anything above that then good luck you will need priority from your doctor or if you have a health visitor then get her to get you priority

Give it 25 years. This week's Council property paper shows that several properties were let to people who applied for a property in 1981 / 82 /83.

I know the system for letting to people with waiting time but without any need but doesn't it seem crazy that the decision on who gets a house depends on who happened to apply for a home a quarter of a century ago and not on their present needs. For a start , it means that no-one under 40 has a chance for those properties.

So you think ALL properties should go to priority? On this forum, I think you'd be in the minoriyt for thinking that.

hi i went to the council last week they said for a 2 bed house its minimum of 5 years so if you want anything above that then good luck you will need priority from your doctor or if you have a health visitor then get her to get you priority

Disregard the above message!

Priority is awarded according to your rehousing NEED. If you have no medical issues and don't require a bungalow or ground floor flat, then why would you try and get medical priority?

If someone is homeless, they need to go to the Homeless Service in Howden House. If someone can no longer stay in their current property due to overcrowding, anti-social behaviour, domestic violence etc. then they need to approach thier local housing office to speak to someone.

The only time you would get a doctor or health visitor involved is if your property was not suitable for your medical or mobility need. If you were awarded this priority then you would be expected to bid for ground floor flats, bungalows and adapted houses.

So you think ALL properties should go to priority? On this forum, I think you'd be in the minoriyt for thinking that.

Personally, yes. I think properties should be allocated on the basis of need (that's present need, not what you needed 25 years ago). I also think that people's needs should be recognised as many people who rely on waiting time only actually have real needs to move but the Council doesn't recognise them.

Personally, yes. I think properties should be allocated on the basis of need (that's present need, not what you needed 25 years ago). I also think that people's needs should be recognised as many people who rely on waiting time only actually have real needs to move but the Council doesn't recognise them.

So what would be the point in a "waiting list"?

Like I say, beware of the backlash for your comments as most people think that not enough go to waiting time.

Would you advocate the 'needs' criteria being expanded? For instance there are people who are genuinely homeless yet don't meet the 'needs' criteria, and have to depend solely on waiting time. I'm referring mainly to healthy adults without dependents - although their level of 'need' could be argued. Another area that could be considered as need is financial. Some housing associations award points for low income, but its never been part of the council criteria for awarding priority. Perhaps the whole priority system needs a revamp.

Because council housing historically was allocated on the basis of a queueing system, with a few special cases getting priority many people still think it still is/should be done that way. Although over the years the system has changed to mainly rehouse those who are deemed in need, its not well understood by those seeking council housing. As Leviathan says many feel they are being treated unfairly when they find out just how few chances they have.

Dont bother, your wasting your time. Sheffield has the longest waiting list in the UK and unless theres something wrong with you, theres no reason to try and obtain one from the local authority.

Dont bother, your wasting your time. Sheffield has the longest waiting list in the UK and unless theres something wrong with you, theres no reason to try and obtain one from the local authority.

Thank you for that extremely informed and in-depth contribution.

Like I say, beware of the backlash for your comments as most people think that not enough go to waiting time.

I think Ms MacBeth is right in saying the whole system needs a revamp. I think that where there is a shortage of housing, it should be allocated on the basis of need and not allocated to those who have no need but have just been on a register for many years.

I’m aware there are many people who say they want more properties allocated to people with waiting time only. I suspect in reality these people , perhaps like the OP, refer to waiting time but actually have serious needs themselves. I think these needs should be looked at.