BNP member selling poppies in Morrisons (Catcliffe)

That IS a great letter. :hihi:

BUT the point they make (and quite rightly) is that they do not want their poppy to be "politicised" by association - in that case, I hope that ALL politicians publicly wearing the poppy get a similar letter. Politicians from all the major parties on Question Time were wearing them. Conservative and Labour govts have not done much in recent years to help those that have served in the armed forces, in my opinion. Are we still sending inadequately equipped troops out under our Labour govt?

I think they have replaced the melting boots now :hihi:

But seriously there is a big difference between not having bomb proof armoured vehicles, and less helicopters than the US and the BNP's traitorous history of apologetics for our second world war adversaries and not least Griffin recently comparing our military leaders with Nazi war criminals and suggesting Generals Sir Richard Dannett and Sir Mike Jackson should be hanged.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/nickrobinson/2009/10/bnps_hang_gener.html

Somehow suggesting our Generals should be hanged quite fundamentally doesn't seem to me to be a view likely to endear him to the British Legion.

Edited by Wildcat

I think they have replaced the melting boots now :hihi:

But seriously there is a big difference between not having bomb proof armoured vehicles, and less helicopters than the US and the BNP's traitorous history of apologetics for our second world war adversaries and not least Griffin recently comparing our military leaders with Nazi war criminals and suggesting Generals Sir Richard Dannett and Sir Mike Jackson should be hanged.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/nickrobinson/2009/10/bnps_hang_gener.html

Somehow suggesting our Generals should be hanged quite fundamentally doesn't seem to me to be a view likely to endear him to the British Legion.

I couldn't agree more and I sort of wish the British Legion ( nearly typed foreign legion then - it is late :hihi: ) had just said that and not accused him of "politicising" the poppy, for point-scoring, as this, I believe, is what politicians across the board do.

So when other politicians wear it, it's a "show of gratitude" but when the far right wear it, it's "politicising" it, and they're asked to stop.

I get the link that soldiers fought against Nazis, etc but from the letter I quoted, what the British Legion pointed out could be said of any politician from any party.

Did you watch QT with Nick Griffin? It was like a "who can wear the biggest poppy competition" amongst the panelists. Try and convince me that's "out of gratitude" and not to score political brownie points.

The poppy has been used this way for years.

PS I hadn't realised the British Legion have the rights to the poppy - and I think they were in the right, but then it begs the question above.

Wearing it as a politician, and selling them as one too are different things. I haven't seen too many of the other politicians out selling poppies, have you?

Yes, I did watch QT with Griffin. What has that got to do with the local (at best) BNP trying to use the poppy as a way of self-promotion?

Don't try and kid yourself that the poppy is used to score political brownie points. Were that to be so, I wouldn't have been browbeaten into buying one at school along with everyone else every year.

Don't play the victim. You're not one.

Edited by happyhippy

Wearing it as a politician, and selling them as one too are different things. I haven't seen too many of the other politicians out selling poppies, have you?

Yes, I agree, but I was referring to the letter, as pointed out twice previously.

Yes, I did watch QT with Griffin. What has that got to do with the local (at best) BNP trying to use the poppy as a way of self-promotion?

I've already given the reason for mentionning this above - again with respect to the letter.

Don't try and kid yourself that the poppy is used to score political brownie points. Were that to be so, I wouldn't have been browbeaten into buying one at school along with everyone else every year.

I don't get this, sorry, maybe because it's late.

Don't play the victim. You're not one.

I get this even less. Sorry.

Oh, unless you mistakenly think I am defending the BNP and their ilk.

I have made my position clear, I will spell it out again, as it appears necesarry. I think the British Legion were totally in the right for sending out this letter, I don't think Nick Griffin or any other BNP politician should be given permission to wear the poppy for the reasons they outline in their letter. I think it would have been enough for the British Legion to say this, but to say that a politician wearing the poppy is politicising it, and they don't want this, then surely, that begs the question why doesn't any other politician wearing the poppy "politicise" it?

If you disagree with the argument, line of thinking, then fine, but to accuse me of playing the victim, in discussing this, is an error in judgement, and frankly I find it rather offensive, if you're making false assumptions about my political views based on this, when I have made them clear.

Edited by Darth Vader

Oh, unless you mistakenly think I am defending the BNP and their ilk.

<snippetty snip>

No it wasn't, and I understand you don't follow the BNP's way of thinking, but I was talking about selling the poppy to enhance a party, not wearing it out of respect.

<snippetty snip>

No it wasn't, and I understand you don't follow the BNP's way of thinking, but I was talking about selling the poppy to enhance a party, not wearing it out of respect.

My comments were purely observations in response to the letter from the British Legion. But if I'm not allowed to make them without being accused of playing the victim, I'll not bother. Oooh, I sound like I'm playing the victim now, don't I? :hihi:

I think the British legions issue is that Nick Griffin wears the poppy much of the time, including during election campaigns. The other parties politicans wear them around rememberence day and don't use them as an political tool.

My Wife went into Morrisons today at catcliffe and MARLENE GUEST was doing the poppy appeal.She is a BNP counciller who went on record on BNP WIVES saying something not very nice about the millions of Jews who were murdered during WW11.

Just to put the record straight: She is a BNP member but has never been successful in her bids to become a councillor. She was beaten yet again by the labour candidate for Wingfield ward in 2008.http://www.rotherham.gov.uk/graphics/YourCouncil/Local+Democracy/Electoral+Services/_Election+Results2008.htm

She has also attempted to be selected as an MEP - but failed there too.

So when other politicians wear it, it's a "show of gratitude" but when the far right wear it, it's "politicising" it, and they're asked to stop.

I think the difference is that the British Legion stand for everything that the BNP are against, equality, fair play and freedom, everything Legion members risked their lives to achieve.

As much as the poppy should be de-politicised, it cant be said that the manistream parties wish to restrict peoples freedoms as much or more than the BNP do. So by making a big song & dance about their support of the Legion it translates that they are patriotic and also uphold these values, which they dont.

As I think Dozy pointed out earlier, how would people respond if Gary Glitter started collecting for Save the Children? Even the less cynical amongst us might think it was an attempt to ingratiate himself.

You do have a good point depoix, but for one thing.

Using the poppy to promote politics is wrong, no matter what party.

of course,you are quite right, better people will march past than those who promote politics on that day

Just to put the record straight: She is a BNP member but has never been successful in her bids to become a councillor. She was beaten yet again by the labour candidate for Wingfield ward in 2008.http://www.rotherham.gov.uk/graphics/YourCouncil/Local+Democracy/Electoral+Services/_Election+Results2008.htm

She has also attempted to be selected as an MEP - but failed there too.

True. She has never made the dizzy heights of elected member. There are 2 BNP councillors in Rotherham. I think one has left the party now and the other is regarded as a bit of a joke/embarrassment.

She spends her life writing letters to the Rotherham Advertiser and deluging the council with freedom of information requests about how they dare house darkies and provide services to non-aryans.

It doesn't take long to work out that she is (through no fault of her own) not the brightest penny in the purse.

when do we start on the French (the right handed ones)?

Sooner the better - and we should include all French politicians under 5' 7" :hihi: