Do you think plants such as trees feel pain when you cut them?

Do you think plants such as trees feel pain when you cut them?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think plants such as trees feel pain when you cut them?

• Absolutely not
    • Yes - like humans/animals
    • Yes - only in a biological way
    • Yes - other
    • It is possible but I don't think we know the answer

I remember watching an Alfred Hitchcook suspense where someone could hear the silence screams emitting from them as they were cut.

But do you think trees and other plant life feel pain when you cut them?

I'm biased - I think as a living organism they experience some form of pain as they die - but what that is and how we as humans would comprehend that I don't know.

Besides I am a tree hugging witch :D

Moon

no, i dont think they feel "pain" but i do think they have an auroura (sp) of some kind...

I ticked yes - only in a biological way ...

One question ?

How is 'only in a bioligical way' different to the way humans / animals feel pain ?

Are humans / animals not biological creatures ?

Trees are living creatures and alive ... just like you and me ... and an expression of life ... it's quite feasable that they have a much slower and deeper awareness / conciousness to humans.

Some people seem hell bent on destroying nature ... even picking flowers to give to a loved one ... can never get my head round that ... you just killed a living thing ... just to give someone some (nice looking) dead vegitation !?

Originally posted by JamieW

Some people seem hell bent on destroying nature ... even picking flowers to give to a loved one ... can never get my head round that ... you just killed a living thing ... just to give someone some (nice looking) dead vegitation !?

Very true Jamie but try telling that to the missus on her birthday. They'll be no oats on the table for weeks!

They don't feel a thing!

Hmmm ... but what if you take the missus out in to nature somewhere nice and secluded on a sunny day ...

Some beautiful countryside out there ... some fields are just bursting with flowers ... no need to pick a single one ... (try not to crush too many in your passion tho) ...

Hmmm ... but what if you take the missus out in to nature somewhere nice and secluded on a sunny day ...

Some beautiful countryside out there ... some fields are just bursting with flowers ... no need to pick a single one ... (try not to crush too many in your passion tho) ...

and who said romance was dead?

I ticked yes - only in a biological way ...

One question ?

How is 'only in a bioligical way' different to the way humans / animals feel pain ?

Are humans / animals not biological creatures ?

Trees are living creatures and alive ... just like you and me ... and an expression of life ... it's quite feasable that they have a much slower and deeper awareness / conciousness to humans.

you very rarely kill a plant by picking it's flower, all you are doing is plucking its sexual organs to give to a loved one, which is deeply symbolic IMO.

As for plants feeling pain - I'd say no although that depends entirely on what you mean by 'feel' and 'pain'. Of course, the same goes for humans, they don't feel pain either. They're all just automatons manufactured for my amusement.

RPG, are you referring to Auras as picked up by Kirlian Photography? http://www.kirlian.org/kirlian.htm or the more 'mystical' aura that some 'gifted' people can see.

Disagree with you there Phan.

The bit of the flower that you pick ... was part of the plant and alive and growing etc ... until you pick it that is.

Am sure the dis-membered plant part wouldn't be too happy either.

Yeah, but if I plucked your sexual organs, you migh be miffed but you wouldn't be dead, although your gonads would soon be.

Originally posted by Phanerothyme

Yeah, but if I plucked your sexual organs, you migh be miffed but you wouldn't be dead, although your gonads would soon be.

thank god that never took off as a traditional romantic gesture...

"Here you go love, I bought you a bunch of your favorites - ginger testicles". :blush: :blush: :blush:

It would make a hell of a craving for a pregnant woman....

What do plants or trees have to feel pain with?