Boxing Day & New Years Day Buses

I work christmas and new year eve and new year eve, but correct me if i am wrong, is it not supposed to be a public service. Nah silly me any company that has shareholders, gives sweet f.a. about the public as far as service goes

No public service stopped at dereg in 1986

Jees some people are never happy are they?

Great stuff bus companies - for a start Sheff Wed kick off at 1245 on Boxing Day so your service will help some fans / workers get to the game.

Well done!

Jees some people are never happy are they?

Great stuff bus companies - for a start Sheff Wed kick off at 1245 on Boxing Day so your service will help some fans / workers get to the game.

Well done!

Credit where its due, this service is funded by the PTE with our money. The bus companies are being paid to run at no risk to themselves.

A Sheffield Area Christmas/New Year timetable (bus & Tram services) booklet is now available as a download PDF from the Travel South Yorkshire website.

press release from me a bus driver im not driving a bus on boxing day or new years day for anyone! why shouldnt i be aloud the same holidays as everyone else???

press release from me a bus driver im not driving a bus on boxing day or new years day for anyone! why shouldnt i be aloud the same holidays as everyone else???

Why shouldn't hospital workers be allowed the same holidays as everyone else? Never mind that some people will have major heart attacks on Boxing Day and need treatment immediately... why shouldn't police? Never mind that criminals still operate at New Year...

...okay, no buses isn't nearly as major a problem as no hospitals and no police. Nevertheless, where something is a public service, it must be provided when the public need it, not just when the workers in it don't mind turning up. Mostly, that can be done without coercing anyone; enough people will volunteer at double-time or whatever the going rate is nowadays. But if it can't ... frankly, I think the PTE should be paying to provide a Saturday service on Boxing Day, and a Sunday service on Christmas Day itself.

Why shouldn't hospital workers be allowed the same holidays as everyone else? Never mind that some people will have major heart attacks on Boxing Day and need treatment immediately... why shouldn't police? Never mind that criminals still operate at New Year...

...okay, no buses isn't nearly as major a problem as no hospitals and no police. Nevertheless, where something is a public service, it must be provided when the public need it, not just when the workers in it don't mind turning up. Mostly, that can be done without coercing anyone; enough people will volunteer at double-time or whatever the going rate is nowadays. But if it can't ... frankly, I think the PTE should be paying to provide a Saturday service on Boxing Day, and a Sunday service on Christmas Day itself.

double time! are you having a laugh?

the company i work for pay £1 an hour extra for saturdays and sundays to work boxing day for that money is stupid i would quite happily work if i got the same amount of money a doctor or a police officer gets . there is taxis for these journeys.

double time! are you having a laugh?.

If I were having a laugh, I would not have added "or whatever the going rate is nowadays." You appear not to have noticed that part.

it would take more than double time to get me in on christmas day. if they pay me 5x then maybe but even so i still doubt i would. there will be plenty of taxis around if people really need to get around. i'm not so bothered about boxing day, i would do that for double time

double time! are you having a laugh?

the company i work for pay £1 an hour extra for saturdays and sundays to work boxing day for that money is stupid i would quite happily work if i got the same amount of money a doctor or a police officer gets . there is taxis for these journeys.

yes there are taxis, but the taxis will be nearly as expensive as the bus is

yes there are taxis, but the taxis will be nearly as expensive as the bus is

so its cheaper to get in a taxi, sorted and you wont need to wait at the bus stop. i've no doubt eventually christmas day won't even be classed as a holiday, so people might get their wish then