Memories of The Grosvenor

Probably because there aren't as many as 102 homeless people in Sheffield? Most of the 'homeless' who beg in the streets go home when they've got £100 or so. It doesn't take them long to get this amount on a Friday/Saturday night. And quite a few of them share the sympathy dog by passing it around to each other. The dogs are great sympathy tools for them. I know this because I talk to them most days, and I've even visited them at their homes from time to time due to my job.

One of hotels last uses was a dog training for the Police .

Spent our wedding night at the Grosvenor Hotel ( Boxing Day 1974 ) it was a lovely place then. Remember there was a bomb scare that night.

Had our wedding reception there March 1980 - absolutely brilliant - well looked after

Does anyone know a former chef from the Grovesnor in the late 80's? He had a beige mini metro. Was a friend of a friend but I can't remember his name! Thanks.

---------- Post added 25-11-2017 at 16:11 ----------

Does any know of a man that used to work there in the late 80's with a beige mini metro? He was a chef.

I first visited this hotel in 1975 and thought it to be very upmarket! It was my first night out in the city centre, celebrating my birthday, with my works manager Kim. We both worked on Pinstone Street, in a boutique called Stranger. I am sad to hear of another landmark loss to the city; but hey, as they say, that's progress.

I recall the summer of 1969 when a colleague and I were on a 3-month crazy, whirlwind study tour of steelplants in Europe - almost 60 mills in Sweden, Finland, France, Italy, England, Holland, Spain, Greece, Turkey etc.

Due to a sudden change in schedule we landed up in Sheffield without a hotel booking (those were the days of letters, telegrams and phones). A cabbie recommended the Grosvenor House. The front desk informed us that there were no rooms except the very Luxury Suites on the Top Floor, costing a princely sum of GBP 12 per night.

Tired and weary, we agreed for our 2/3 night stay.

The adjoining Suite - occupied by members of "The Beatles" !!

Sad, this iconic hotel has been demolished - as also many of the steelmills I had visited in that trip.

At 77y, only memories remain.

I recall the summer of 1969 when a colleague and I were on a 3-month crazy, whirlwind study tour of steelplants in Europe - almost 60 mills in Sweden, Finland, France, Italy, England, Holland, Spain, Greece, Turkey etc.

Due to a sudden change in schedule we landed up in Sheffield without a hotel booking (those were the days of letters, telegrams and phones). A cabbie recommended the Grosvenor House. The front desk informed us that there were no rooms except the very Luxury Suites on the Top Floor, costing a princely sum of GBP 12 per night.

Tired and weary, we agreed for our 2/3 night stay.

The adjoining Suite - occupied by members of "The Beatles" !!

Sad, this iconic hotel has been demolished - as also many of the steelmills I had visited in that trip.

At 77y, only memories remain.

Have you got your year right? The last time the Beatles appeared in Sheffield was December 1965. In fact, their only live appearance in 1969 was their very last one, on the roof of Apple Studios in London.Of course you could be meaning that it had been occupied by the lads from Liverpool in prior years, as I am sure the Grosvenor would milk that fact .

Have you got your year right? The last time the Beatles appeared in Sheffield was December 1965. In fact, their only live appearance in 1969 was their very last one, on the roof of Apple Studios in London.Of course you could be meaning that it had been occupied by the lads from Liverpool in prior years, as I am sure the Grosvenor would milk that fact .

They might have been here as tourists.

I knew the manager back in the 70’s, he was a young Egyptian guy called Emile Malek. He was a bit of a lad, I recall him inviting the wife and I for a complementary meal, only to find that he had placed us on a wedding reception table. :hihi:

Agree there was no Beatles performance in 1969 in Sheffield.

But then again I did not mention any performance by the Beatles. If there was one, I would have gone and also mentioned it. [1969 was the year when there was talk of the group going their separate ways and therefore I would not have skipped an opportunity to attend, if there was a performance.]

But I do recall being told by the hotel staff, in reply to my query about the loud music & sounds we could hear in my suite, that a few members of Beatles were in the adjoining suite(s).

This stayed in my mind because just a few days earlier, Bjorn & Benny (of ABBA) were in adjoining rooms in our hotel at Imatra, Finland - they formally formed the Group ABBA a few years later. Also saw them sing in the market square at Ludvika, Sweden alongwith Anni-Frid (Frida) a week later.

Also, I was lucky to have witnessed Ella Fitzgerald LIVE at the Tivoli Gardens, Copenhagen during the same trip.

That 1969 tour was one of my most memorable travels.

They might have been here as tourists.

George Harrison stayed there along with others from the Delaney and Bonnie entourage in early December 1969 ( still not summer though) and Paul McCartney is rumoured to have stayed along with other members of Wings in February 1972.

But I do recall being told by the hotel staff, in reply to my query about the loud music & sounds we could hear in my suite, that a few members of Beatles were in the adjoining suite(s).

A lot of people, loud music and chatter/laughter - quite like a private party, really.