Rentaghost - Mr Claypole

Real Radio have a theme tune competition on in the mornings. Today's theme was from Rentaghost, in keeping with the Halloween theme. This stirred some memories so I did a bit of reading about the show on the net. I was saddened to read that Micheal Staniforth, who played Mr Claypole in the series, passed away in 1987 at the young age of 44. Anyone under the age of 25 won't know what I'm on about, but I thought this would be of interest to us 30 somethings. RIP Mr Claypole (belatedly).

Yeah I think it was Aids related (his death that is, not the series). Very sad.

"Don't matter what you see it's not a mystery, but Rentaghost"

I remember Rentaghost too.

I was too young to understand the subtle references in the character's names and story plots and enjoyed it as plain simple entertainment.

If it were on today it would be one of those programmes celebrated like the simpsons which have entertainment for children while there are less obvious jokes for adults to enjoy too.

Cripes, I didn't know Mr. Claypole had died, let alone quite a while ago.

Didn't he go on to be in that roller-skate thing on the stage? (Starlight Express if I remember correctly?)

There was an episode set in a roller disco. He seemed quite good at it.

I remember Rentaghost too.

I was too young to understand the subtle references in the character's names and story plots and enjoyed it as plain simple entertainment.

If it were on today it would be one of those programmes celebrated like the simpsons which have entertainment for children while there are less obvious jokes for adults to enjoy too.

Im tryimg to think of the other charactors names now...what were they ?? it will bug me all day now....

Just call me the resident Rentaghost expert. Here we go. The original three were Mr Claypole, Mr Davenport and Mr Mumford. They were employed by Mr and Mrs Meeker. Later series had the characters McWitch and Nadia Popov (Audrey from Corrie).

rent a gost was class wunder if i can get them on disc????

Just call me the resident Rentaghost expert. Here we go. The original three were Mr Claypole, Mr Davenport and Mr Mumford. They were employed by Mr and Mrs Meeker. Later series had the characters McWitch and Nadia Popov (Audrey from Corrie).

He he heeee...i rememeber now!!! i liked it when i was little...very surreal.

I was saddened to read that Micheal Staniforth, who played Mr Claypole in the series, passed away in 1987 at the young age of 44

Didn't know that, that's far too young an age.

I remember the original lineup, where Rentaghost was run more as a business and a lot of the early plot centered around Fred Mumford trying to keep the fact of his death a secret from his parents.

After one of the actors who played the original trio of ghosts died, the format was revamped, with Mr Claypole becoming more central and the amount of surreality being upped considerably.