Your top 3 old arcade games ?

When I was young and at college studying computer studies (zzzzz) at college ... I used to skip class and go play games at the arcade (stories on matilda street) ... incidently I failed my college course !!!

Anyway.

What are your top 3 favorite arcade games ?

Mine are:

Starforce.

Krull.

Gauntlet.

(I also used to love flicky and mad-planets).

I never got this?? Must have been my grandad's fault. I have never ever played arcade games.

I just don't get it! :o

Moon Maiden

Arcade games

Asteroids - Atari

Defender - Williams

1942 - Can't remember who, Bally? (edit - it was actually called 19xx by capcom)

Arcade style

defender - bbc micro

monsters (space panic) - bbc micro

xenon II - amiga

Best ever games

Elite - BBC Micro (wow!)

Carrier Command - Amiga (wow)

Starglider II - Amiga (double wow)

Some really cool games there Phan ...

Such a buzz playing anything like defender / starforce ... no over the top power-ups complicating the issue ... just pure skill and WOW at the adrenlyn of it all ...

Mind you ... I love some new arcade games ... esp the ones where you can get in to the cabinet and it vibrates (kinky!) ... u know the ones ... big racing games in sit down cabinets !?

I so still love pac man LMAO

Originally posted by Phanerothyme

xenon II - amiga

:D :D :D :D

I loved that game!!

my phone ringtone is Xenon II :D

Yeah Xenon II was a great game,cool music,and super nashwan power ruled.As for old arcade games goes,some of these aint really that old,but i played them as a kid,so i think there old,and yes i know theres more than 3 here!

Outrun

Chase HQ

Operation Wolf

Bubble Bobble

Rainbow Islands

Final Fight

Street Frighter II (one game i am truely unbeatable on)

If i think of anymore i'll let you know.

pacman - of course

then two that were on the computer dad would bring home from work in the holidays - no idea what they were called

one was a basic shooting game

the other was a precurser to the nokia snake game now

they were all fab!

It has to be the original

Space Invaders - maybe showing my age here, but used to play it all the time around 78-80 ish - just simple skill needed - you didnt need a degree to understand the functions.

Remember the Glass table ones in pubs and stuff - they were ok until someone spilt beer or flicked fag ash all over. You couldnt see anything after that.

Originally posted by JamieW

Some really cool games there Phan ...

Such a buzz playing anything like defender / starforce ... no over the top power-ups complicating the issue ... just pure skill and WOW at the adrenlyn of it all ...

Mind you ... I love some new arcade games ... esp the ones where you can get in to the cabinet and it vibrates (kinky!) ... u know the ones ... big racing games in sit down cabinets !?

Remember Space Harrier? Great cabinet, but if you ever played the game on a standard arcade (no flying seat) then it was pretty dull, same with Firefox and some others - as often happens, gimmickry to cloak less good games.

Last time I spent any serious money on an arcade game it was called virtua racing, and very good it was too, that was back in 94 - two racing car cabinets with FF steeringwheels racing against one another, and a choice of tracks, very competitive, and expensive at 50p a pop.

Did I mention:

Spychaser? That was also top.

I remember playing Defender on the BBC micro, an almost perfect clone of it at least, called something else, planetoid maybe?

That was a game that demanded lightning quick reflexes and good hand/eye coordination. Still remember that very unfamiliar feeling of playing a game for something like 30 minutes and then having to stop because my pulse was racing and my hands shaking from the adrenalin (aged 12) - a whole new vista of discovery of different states of mind opened up there...