Does Anyone Here Remember The Star Walk?

I did 10 miles of the Star Walk in 1988 when I was 8. My grandad collected me from Fox House in his Chevette. Still have the sticker :)

I remember it was a scorching hot day :gag:

I moved from Sheffield in 1974 but remember the local hero as John Warhurst who won gold at the Commonwealth 20mile walk. Such a shame it no longer exists. It's all marathons or half marathons these days. It would be great if a walk came back -does one exist anywhere else? What a great way to raise money for charity that is within everyone's capabilities-ok you may look a prat walking fast but it's all in a good cause. What do others think?

Hi Ray my Dad send's his regard's he's still walking now !!

Hi Rob (Dingo)

I new your dad we go way back.He has walked from John'Ogroats to landsend on several occasions for charity.Give him my regards Ray Colley

I'm not sure but seem to remember the Whit programme as being, Sunday - going around in new clothes. Whit Monday - the singing in the parks and Whit Tuesday - The Star Walk starting at Kemsley House, High Street?

Was there also a successful walker called Albert Johnson? I seem to recall we called him 'Nid-Nod' because of the way he moved his head!

both my brothers used to do the star walk about the time of albert raymond colly and keith bradford i was younger but i remember going to watch them in a lot of events we lived in brough street off penistone road ::

both my brothers used to do the star walk about the time of albert raymond colly and keith bradford i was younger but i remember going to watch them in a lot of events we lived in brough street off penistone road ::

so which sister are you J,W,L.or M

I'm not sure but seem to remember the Whit programme as being, Sunday - going around in new clothes. Whit Monday - the singing in the parks and Whit Tuesday - The Star Walk starting at Kemsley House, High Street?

Was there also a successful walker called Albert Johnson? I seem to recall we called him 'Nid-Nod' because of the way he moved his head!

Albert wasn,t nid nod. That was john Eddershaw

I moved from Sheffield in 1974 but remember the local hero as John Warhurst who won gold at the Commonwealth 20mile walk. Such a shame it no longer exists. It's all marathons or half marathons these days. It would be great if a walk came back -does one exist anywhere else? What a great way to raise money for charity that is within everyone's capabilities-ok you may look a prat walking fast but it's all in a good cause. What do others think?

I still see John and his wife but he is suffering with his legs now.

I still see John and his wife but he is suffering with his legs now.

Race Walking is still quite popular in the UK with the top walkers doing nearly 8mph.However most road walks have had to finish due to the volume of traffic on the roads and not being able to get police permission. The Star Walk used to attract 350,000 sectators around the course.

Was the Star walk unique to Sheffield or did other cities have a similar kind of walk?

The Star Walk was unique to sheffield sponsored by the local paper The Star.It was a race for novices living within a radius of 25miles of sheffield.A novice is someone who has not won a prize in a walking event.

Newspapers in other towns also sponsored walks but these were open to all amatures.

cut and paste the address below for cuttings from the local papers

http://sports.webshots.com/album/578013788TsLhht

As a kid growing up in the seventies, I always thought the term 'star walk' was the actual name for that style of race walking. In fact, it was only quite recently when my wife and I were reminiscing about it, that it dawned on us that it was presumably sponsored or supported by The Star newspaper, hence the name.

So did I!!!

the star walk took place on whit tuesday and I competed twice in times of 2hrs 7 mins and 2 hours 3 mins. still have certificates somewhere, if you did it in 2hrs or less you got a timed certificate, my pal got one of those but was laid up afterwards with sore feet:D