Does Anyone Here Remember The Star Walk?

Does anyone remember the Star Walk and a guy called Albert Parr I remeber in late 50's early 60's this guy very popular with my dads generation who ended up getting a lift part of the way round i used to watch from outside the Beer off on Page Hall rd.

it was the grimesthorpe feast walk he would get on a tram to firth park

In the 50s we used to go down to the "bottom rd" (Penistone rd) just a bit after the start and then later watch them go down Pitsmoor Road to the finish at Corporation street baths

I remember my mum doing this..used to sit outside the Huntsman pub (when it was there) and watch everyone go past. :)

Oh Yeh shud mention that after that result I trained with albert johnson along with keith french stuart ashston terry stephenson brian johnson mick hague derek slinn paul slinn, chris harpham jimmy jankers oops real name john cheetham sorry john blame ashton n stephenson for that nickname and a load of other dedicated walkers fromsheffield united walking club. names to mention john warhurst all off the greasleys from cresswell leon pedryck got close with the spellin leon!!! ken booth frank clay n an absolute load of other members that put a lot of effort into organising and executing the STARWALK

Well... I was just browsing the net and came across this.. I know ALL of those people mentioned.. You missed out Bob Siddall.. !! What I want to know is.. Who is Rab1?

Also, is the Star Walk still going? If not, when did it end? Why? etc..

Cheers, Chris

Oh Yeh shud mention that after that result I trained with albert johnson along with keith french stuart ashston terry stephenson brian johnson mick hague derek slinn paul slinn, chris harpham jimmy jankers oops real name john cheetham sorry john blame ashton n stephenson for that nickname and a load of other dedicated walkers fromsheffield united walking club. names to mention john warhurst all off the greasleys from cresswell leon pedryck got close with the spellin leon!!! ken booth frank clay n an absolute load of other members that put a lot of effort into organising and executing the STARWALK

i remember paul slinn winning it in the early 70,s.

I used to go down to the bottom of Colley Road and watch the Star Walk as it went past. That was over 50 years ago. I never took part in the Star Walk, but always enjoyed watching.

What year did the Star Walk finish and why?

They used to do it on the Tuesday after Spring Bank Holiday (today)

Spent a few years out of Sheffield and didn't realise it had even ended !

Sheffield United Harriers And Athletic Club,Runners, Racewalkers and Field Events.I was an active member myself in th 1950's

Did the Star Walk twice for charity with an old football team i used to be in charge of

1st time i did it i didnt do no training,worked the night shift till 7 a.m the night before,went home got changed and set off for it with rest of lads,i finished 17th and got a trophy as our team finished 3rd in team event (they used to add up first 3 finishers out of each team) and have still got trophy

Went home after a few beers,had a kip and when i woke up i fell over TWICE:hihi: my legs were like jelly

2nd time i trained for the bugger!!!

Oh.and i got told off because apparantly i was "running" through the 5 arches bridge on the way to hillsborough....you try walking fast down a steep hill without raising both heels at same time!!!

Well... I was just browsing the net and came across this.. I know ALL of those people mentioned.. You missed out Bob Siddall.. !! What I want to know is.. Who is Rab1?

Also, is the Star Walk still going? If not, when did it end? Why? etc..

Cheers, Chris

Rob Siddall used to be my best mate,along with his brother Russell,think it was Rob who went to Russia to represent Great Britain at some walking event

chap who worked at davy's on prince of wales rd won it round about early 90's think hi name was trevor hibberd