Does Anyone Here Remember The Star Walk?

The Star walk took place on Whitsuntide Sunday if memory serves. The waiter at the Washington Arms on Wosternhome Rd. took part a couple of times,he seemed to enjoy the micky taking.

It was traditional then for everybody to wear their new clothes on that day.

I was in the Star Walk a couple of times and sure it was held on the Tuesday after Whit Sunday.

The route started in the city centre, West Bar, Passed the Swfc ground, Halifax road,whitley Lane down to Ecclesfield, Barnsley Road and ended up at Owlerton greyhound stadium.About 12 miles in total.

I did the Star Walk, must have been 1990 or 91, got a certificate too:hihi:

Lost that but still got the photo of me and my work mates with our numbers on! Completed it in quite a good time too if I remember rightly!

I did the star walk in the seventies ,i cant remember if it was the 50th or the 75th,i know ive got the certificate somewhere i'll have to dig it out,we also got ,just for that walk only,a commerative badge but i lost mine years ago

I went to Newfield school in the 70s and one of the caretakers there was an ex-walker who trained some good race walkers. Barry Lines was one of them and somebody Staniforth or Stainforth. I don't know if they ever won the race, but they were amongst the elite walkers.

The Star walk took place on Whitsuntide Sunday if memory serves. The waiter at the Washington Arms on Wosternhome Rd. took part a couple of times,he seemed to enjoy the micky taking.

It was traditional then for everybody to wear their new clothes on that day.

Actually it was always held on Whit Tuesday during the years I watched it (1950 to 1966).

Yes I remember the star walk it used to go up Herries Road, the sun always seemed to shine and it was always hot, can't for the life of me remember why we used to go!!! :loopy:

Hi Cherry. Probably the same reason as us = we had nowhere else to go.

Actually it was always held on Whit Tuesday during the years I watched it (1950 to 1966).

And later than that.

The last Tuesday I saw it was around 1984.

Later on it was changed to a Sunday and just dwindled off after that.

i remember star walk in mid to late 80s.

my grandmother used to make us all get ready and stand along halifax road/ wadsleybridge wmc! seemed to be stood there for ages before wede see anything but i do remember it was quite a big event as there was always loads of peple there.

There was also a marathon run from Doncaster to Sheffield, does anyone remember that? All I can remember is that it attracted most of Britain’s top marathon runners of the time, and at least one Olympic finalists.

Does anyone enter the isle of man parish walk?......85 miles in 24 hrs!!!!

i can remember going to hillsborough park when i was a little girl to see the finish with my mum and my grandmother

I was in the star walk in june 11/1946. It was the 20th annual

whitsuntide walk I was 16 years old and completed the course

of 12 miles in 2hours 11minutes. I still have my certificate signed

by the editor. I also played the last post at the unvailing of the

1939-1945 war plaque at barkers pool with the eccelsfield army

cadets before I went into the army REME. 1947.