Does Anyone Here Remember The Star Walk?

oh, right thanks, when I did it we finished by doing a lap of hillsborough park That was the early 80's

I took part in the Star Walk in (I think), 1961 (might have been 1962). My dad won the cup for first senior, and I thought I had won first junior, but at the prize giving dinner, I was mortified to see that the guy who was in just front of me won the cup. I did not try to chase him down on the final stretch because I thought he looked much older than a junior. Oh well, no prize for second. I never did try the walk again. It was pretty tough with all the hills.

okay webshot shows pre-1950. I was born in 1951, moved to Ecclesfield in 1955 (with parents obviously) and the star walk passed the bottom of our road as long as I can remember and went down Longley Lane. How long did the changes last?

this was taken at firvaleimg016.jpg

Does anyone remember the Star Walk and a guy called Albert Parr I remeber in late 50's early 60's this guy very popular with my dads generation who ended up getting a lift part of the way round i used to watch from outside the Beer off on Page Hall rd.

entered star walk a few times ? me, Rocky, wayne shaun and darren brown three of seven brothers we lived on cross or there abouts:hihi:

Used to work with a guy called John Eddershaw who was a top walker.

Ic can remember watching the star walk in the 50s so it had been going for a lot of years

I was in it twice with times of 2hrs 7 minutes and 2 hours 3 minutes

I can only remember my father taking us to Hillsboro' corner to watch it I have no idea when it was .or where it started and ended

When I did it the mens race was 12 miles long and started in town and when most of men had gone past the womens race set off (9 miles) from Hillsborough. It then went up Halifax Road, down Wheel Lane, through Ecclesfield village, up Barnsley Road, down Longley Lane into Hillsborough Park and then you had to a lap of the track. The worst bit was when you stopped you felt light headed and your ears popped:hihi::hihi:

I never knew how long the race was ...it was an event we watched with our father many moons ago ...I only found this site by chance yesterday so I really am a novice ..what year did you do the race ???

When I did it the mens race was 12 miles long and started in town and when most of men had gone past the womens race set off (9 miles) from Hillsborough. It then went up Halifax Road, down Wheel Lane, through Ecclesfield village, up Barnsley Road, down Longley Lane into Hillsborough Park and then you had to a lap of the track. The worst bit was when you stopped you felt light headed and your ears popped:hihi::hihi:

thats the route we took it was changed slightly think it went down whitely lane later on:huh:

Wanted

Sheffield "Star Walk" photos to borrow for book publication.

Phone 0114 2869769

Thankyou

I use to have a 4ftx3ft picture of Roland Hardy winning the Star Walk 1958. I gave it back to the Sheffield UNITED HARRIERS WALKING CLUB who are now part of the Hallamshire Harriers and was told to contact John eddershaw then. But John should have some information.