Does Anyone Here Remember The Star Walk?

Sheffield United Harriers And Athletic Club,Runners, Racewalkers and Field Events.I was an active member myself in th 1950's

My Grandfather use to drive the Sheffield United harriers to most of ther away event and I use to travel with him to some. Remember Roland Hardy,? Clayton, Messuer Harry Barker, Was A guy who also was a policeman also walked with them.

I have a T service that was presented to his services to them in 1953. The last time I asked towhat had happened to the SUHWC they had been merged into Sheffield Athletics club.

Albert Johnson, who came from the Walkley area (I think) was a great guy, and in the early 1950s he was very helpful to a lot of younger walkers. I knew him well for a time, and remember him emigrating. In his time in Sheffield, I think he was a hospital orderly. Often wonder how he's going on. If anyone is in touch, tell him an old pal was asking about him!

Anybody remember Bill Woodward, who won the Star Walk in 1952? Bill came from the Staniforth Road area, and his dad did some coaching: you'd often see his dad on his bike following a group of walkers on a Sunday morning in the early 1950s --along Attercliffe Road and Effingham Road. I think old man Woodward lived somewhere just behind Banners.

When Bill and Brenda were first married, they lived in Pitsmoor, on Tea Garden Terrace, off Grimesthorpe Road. Bill worked on a furnace at a steel firm.

Bill and his wife Brenda emigrated to Australia many years ago. They came home to Sheffield several times. Sadly, Bill died a few years ago, but, the last time I heard, Brenda was still going strong in Morphett Vale, South Australia.

Talking of Race Walking, does anyone remember Frank Clay and Jim Hackett? They did more for the sport than anyone else in the history of Sheffield United Walking Club, and the Star Walk would not have survived as long as it did without them. What a pity that changing times brought to an end a great local tradition!

i took part in 1985 it was a ritual up to then to watch it every year on the grass outside hillards on barnsley rd, lane top, i was 16 tho in 85 so i could take part

I took part in the Star Walk in 86 as part of a team for Bassetts. We all wore a Berti Bassett T shirt and shorts with pictures of liqorice allsorts on them (looked a right set of twerps). I was 18 then and I couldnt walk for a week afterwards because of blisters on my feet.

Why do we do these things?

I remember doing the star walk in about `76. It was an extremely hot day and I remember going past the pub at the bottom of Barnsley Road (Yew Greave or something like that) and this bloke was at the top of his drive with a hose pipe spraying all the walkers with nice cold water. I bet he was a godsend to all the walkers that day...well done that man!

Hi guys and gals.

Can someone please let me know who "Redfyre" is?

He posted a comment about Albert Johnson a couple of months ago and I live in Tasmania (Australia) where Albert now lives.

I wanted to pass on the details to Albert but not sure who the user is.

Thanks

Mike

Hi guys and gals.

Can someone please let me know who "Redfyre" is?

He posted a comment about Albert Johnson a couple of months ago and I live in Tasmania (Australia) where Albert now lives.

I wanted to pass on the details to Albert but not sure who the user is.

Thanks

Mike

why not click on his user name and PM him, or send an e-mail ?

Albert Johnson, who came from the Walkley area (I think) was a great guy, and in the early 1950s he was very helpful to a lot of younger walkers. I knew him well for a time, and remember him emigrating. In his time in Sheffield, I think he was a hospital orderly. Often wonder how he's going on. If anyone is in touch, tell him an old pal was asking about him!

Anybody remember Bill Woodward, who won the Star Walk in 1952? Bill came from the Staniforth Road area, and his dad did some coaching: you'd often see his dad on his bike following a group of walkers on a Sunday morning in the early 1950s --along Attercliffe Road and Effingham Road. I think old man Woodward lived somewhere just behind Banners.

When Bill and Brenda were first married, they lived in Pitsmoor, on Tea Garden Terrace, off Grimesthorpe Road. Bill worked on a furnace at a steel firm.

Bill and his wife Brenda emigrated to Australia many years ago. They came home to Sheffield several times. Sadly, Bill died a few years ago, but, the last time I heard, Brenda was still going strong in Morphett Vale, South Australia.

Talking of Race Walking, does anyone remember Frank Clay and Jim Hackett? They did more for the sport than anyone else in the history of Sheffield United Walking Club, and the Star Walk would not have survived as long as it did without them. What a pity that changing times brought to an end a great local tradition!

Hi, Mike Dalton. I have sent you a PM.

Cartoon by Heap of Albert Johnson and others in 1949 Star Walk posted on Sheffieldhistory.

Hi everyone,

I was interested to find this thread. I went to the running club in Northamptonshire where I live last night and we had a lady who came to do a bit of race walking with us.

It brought back a few memories as I'm from Sheffield as was a member of the Hallamshire Harriers for a while as a teenager. But more interesting than that my dad Roy Millitt actually won the Sheffield Star Walk in 1961!! We still have all the newspaper cuttings. If anyone remembers my dad Roy Millitt from Sheffield it would be great to hear from you. My dad does have a photo somewhere of a line up of the winners over a 20 year period so it would be great if anyone knows him.

WendyE

we use to stand at corners of hartley brook and barnsley road

and watch star walk.

my mum's got a very old picture of crowd stood there must be from 40s.

Hi Tara what years are you talking about we always stood there as well, I was the youngest lad in it 1970 just over 16, I lived at no 13 hartley brook rd

Before the war on the Star walk day , my parents along with their friends , used to spend the day in the Lane Top Working Mans club. At the appropriate time they would drag us kids to the corner outside the Pheasant ? inn to watch the walkers . One of the pubs staff used to dispense pints of ale , how the system worked I have no idea, but I do remember the crowds that turned out to watch.

Hi Janner what years? what did they call your parents?.