Does Anyone Here Remember The Star Walk?

I used to watch it when the walkers came up Halifax Road, across the road from Chaucer School at my nan's house. It was a fun morning at the time to clap as the walkers went past.

I am a Sheffield-based writer and performance-maker and I am trying to create a piece of performance based on an event called The Star walk that used to happen in Sheffield from 1922- 2000. I'm very keen to hear from anyone who experienced the walk or has memories of it. Thanks.

Hello Nettie - I have come across some old cine film of the Star Walk from 1961. It is in colour but silent. It looks like most of it is filmed outside The Pheasant on Barnsley Road. Shows competitors and large crowds cheering them on

I'm hoping to get this onto DVD soon

Cheers

Hello Nettie - I have come across some old cine film of the Star Walk from 1961. It is in colour but silent. It looks like most of it is filmed outside The Pheasant on Barnsley Road. Shows competitors and large crowds cheering them on

I'm hoping to get this onto DVD soon

Cheers

I'd like a copy of that:D

I'd like a copy of that:D

Hi - Thanks - will let you know when it is done. There will be lots of other Sheffield footage on there (all early 60s)

Anybody remember the star walk. Think it was held on one of the bank holiday weekends. My grandfather always entered  always finished but never won. He did come 4th one year

Did it when at school in mid eighties ....started at the bottom of fargate and finished at Hillsboro park ...that may have been the junior one 

There's a "young" chap on the Sheffield Forum (Southey Owl) who holds the record for the fastest time.

1hr 38mins 15secs.

Edited by Padders
add on

I did the Star Walk twice in the 80s. The second time, as well as a certificate, we were given a small badge to commemorate the 50th race.

When I was at primary school in the '50s, we all thought the sport was called 'Starwalking'.  We used to play at 'Starwalking' up and down the road.  When we studied sports, the teacher introduced this as 'Walking' - there was an outcry from we kids - "No Miss, it's called Starwalking".  We never really believed that the sport was only called 'Walking'. !!

Does anyone know why it was stopped?

Hi Desy

Can't seem to find out WHY it stopped, but it did stop in 2000.  It was resurrected for one year only in 2013.