Does Anyone Here Remember The Star Walk?

so which sister are you J,W,L.or M

hiya im w its great to read things that was in our childhood days brings back lots of memories:

i remember the star walk on a whit monday .whit sunday we had our poshest clothes on and for whit monday we would go and watch the star walk at sheffield lane top with our other new clothes on it was like a religion it was what we did every year

i remember the star walk on a whit monday .whit sunday we had our poshest clothes on and for whit monday we would go and watch the star walk at sheffield lane top with our other new clothes on it was like a religion it was what we did every year

The whole of my dad's family would gather in the beer garden at the Huntsman and cheer them past. Plenty of refreshments, annual family get together and the sun always seemed to shine :hihi: :hihi:

Oh as a kid the star walk was great, we also used to congregate at the Huntsman to watch the walkers go by watching for people we might know, it should really be started up again I might even enter!

Does anyone remember the Star Walk and a guy called Albert Parr I remeber in late 50's early 60's this guy very popular with my dads generation who ended up getting a lift part of the way round i used to watch from outside the Beer off on Page Hall rd.

The star walk never went down Page Hall. It started at West Bar for the men (12 miles) and Leppings Lane for the women (9 miles) and went up Halifax Road, down Whitley Lane, though Ecclesfield, up Barrnsley Road then turned down Longley Lane and finished with a lap round Hillsborough Park. The worst bit was when you stopped. Your ears would pop.:D I did it twice

I remember doing the star walk in about `76. It was an extremely hot day and I remember going past the pub at the bottom of Barnsley Road (Yew Greave or something like that) and this bloke was at the top of his drive with a hose pipe spraying all the walkers with nice cold water. I bet he was a godsend to all the walkers that day...well done that man!

The pub is the High Greave:D

It was always on Tuesday:D

The star walk never went down Page Hall. It started at West Bar for the men (12 miles) and Leppings Lane for the women (9 miles) and went up Halifax Road, down Whitley Lane, though Ecclesfield, up Barrnsley Road then turned down Longley Lane and finished with a lap round Hillsborough Park. The worst bit was when you stopped. Your ears would pop.:D I did it twice

Originaly the Star walk started outside Kemsley House the Star Offices on High Street. From Sheffield Lane Top it went down to Firvale,Up to the Toll Bar,down Pitsmoor Rd and finished opposit Corporation Street baths.Check out the web page below for a map of the course and some of the winners

http://sports.webshots.com/album/578013788TsLhht

Originaly the Star walk started outside Kemsley House the Star Offices on High Street. From Sheffield Lane Top it went down to Firvale,Up to the Toll Bar,down Pitsmoor Rd and finished opposit Corporation Street baths.Check out the web page below for a map of the course and some of the winners

What years are we talking about? I used to watch the star walk as a kid in the late 50's/early 60s and it went down longley lane then and still did when I entered it in the 80's

It was re routed in 1960, then again in the 70s

okay webshot shows pre-1950. I was born in 1951, moved to Ecclesfield in 1955 (with parents obviously) and the star walk passed the bottom of our road as long as I can remember and went down Longley Lane. How long did the changes last?

okay webshot shows pre-1950. I was born in 1951, moved to Ecclesfield in 1955 (with parents obviously) and the star walk passed the bottom of our road as long as I can remember and went down Longley Lane. How long did the changes last?

after 1959 the course you remember was basicly the same untill it finished in 2000 it was mainly the finish that changed, Owlerton Stadium,Hillsboro park and Niagra Ground