Does Anyone Here Remember The Star Walk?

thats the route we took it was changed slightly think it went down whitely lane later on:huh:

Yes sorry you might be right it was early to mid 1980's when I did it

I never knew how long the race was ...it was an event we watched with our father many moons ago ...I only found this site by chance yesterday so I really am a novice ..what year did you do the race ???

The First race was in 1922 and was held every year apart from the war years to 2000.

I use to have a 4ftx3ft picture of Roland Hardy winning the Star Walk 1958. I gave it back to the Sheffield UNITED HARRIERS WALKING CLUB who are now part of the Hallamshire Harriers and was told to contact John eddershaw then. But John should have some information.

Roland Hardy won The Star Walk in 1950.Sheffield United Walkers amalgamated with sheffield Athletic Club.I believe Hallamshire Harriers are still an independant club

I used to watch the star walk in the 80s at hillsborough park. in 1988 i was 8 years old i said to my nan that one day i would win the star walk. 11 years later i did it, first took part in 1996 with no training and loved it so got in touch with geoff ford who was sheffield coach in 1997 i finished 2nd,1998 3rd then finally won it in 1999 and i dedicated the victory to my nan. the year after was the last ever one.

How did you manage to get 3 prizes in the Star Walk ,it was a race for novices only,once you get a prize you are nolonger a novice

Three former Star Walk competiters spring to mind mentioned Keith French Brian Johnson and Malcolm Grace all were memebers of the Hallamshire Harriers of which I too was, it set me thinking were are they now and where are Mick Steel and Ralph his cousin,Peter Keeling,Barry Joule, Tony Evans Ernest Chaffer, Tony Rhodes, Tony Roddis, Wally ? Susan Padley, Pauline Huntingdon,Paulne Holmes, plus Harry Charlesworth and Dick Shepherd the secretary, plus a Sheffield United lad Alan Webster (long jumper) All happy times down at Hillsborough running track. Plus the attendant who took the cash it was good sport winding him up but we loved him really. The person who gave the information regarding Albert Johnson thank you, Albert is still a well respected person in this neck of the woods.

Three former Star Walk competiters spring to mind mentioned Keith French Brian Johnson and Malcolm Grace all were memebers of the Hallamshire Harriers of which I too was, it set me thinking were are they now and where are Mick Steel and Ralph his cousin,Peter Keeling,Barry Joule, Tony Evans Ernest Chaffer, Tony Rhodes, Tony Roddis, Wally ? Susan Padley, Pauline Huntingdon,Paulne Holmes, plus Harry Charlesworth and Dick Shepherd the secretary, plus a Sheffield United lad Alan Webster (long jumper) All happy times down at Hillsborough running track. Plus the attendant who took the cash it was good sport winding him up but we loved him really. The person who gave the information regarding Albert Johnson thank you, Albert is still a well respected person in this neck of the woods.

Don't suppose any of you knew a Steven Manterfield who I think trained / ran with Hallamshire Harriers in the 1970s do you?

Don't suppose any of you knew a Steven Manterfield who I think trained / ran with Hallamshire Harriers in the 1970s do you?

Sorry I was there late 1950's to 1962 sadly a bit after my time

I am a Sheffield-based writer and performance-maker and I am trying to create a piece of performance based on an event called The Star walk that used to happen in Sheffield from 1922- 2000. I'm very keen to hear from anyone who experienced the walk or has memories of it. Thanks.

My Dad (William Grafton) came second in it and my hubby's uncle (Gary Macdonald) won it at the youngest age ever to win it, I think he was still in his teens.

I went to school with Nina Howley, who did the Star Walk in the late 80's early 90's.

I did star walk twice with times of 2 hours 3 minutes and 2 hours 6 minutes - this would have been in early 80's. Couldn't manage it now even if I'd got all day:hihi::hihi: