Does Anyone Here Remember The Star Walk?

Guest Guest

Does anyone remember the Star Walk and a guy called Albert Parr I remeber in late 50's early 60's this guy very popular with my dads generation who ended up getting a lift part of the way round i used to watch from outside the Beer off on Page Hall rd.

Edited by nikki-red

Away's intended to join the star walk in the old day's but never got on with it, sadly, now it is too late. H. E.

:(:(:(

Is the Star Walk still going? when is it? and how far do they walk again?

The Star Walk used to be a big event up to the late 70's, crowds would queue along the route, and it would attract more than its fair share of characters. We used to stand at Shefield Lane Top to watch, you had to be there early to get close to the roadside for a good view. Still have some cine-film somewhere that my dad took from that point.

As a kid growing up in the seventies, I always thought the term 'star walk' was the actual name for that style of race walking. In fact, it was only quite recently when my wife and I were reminiscing about it, that it dawned on us that it was presumably sponsored or supported by The Star newspaper, hence the name.

"As a kid growing up in the seventies, I always thought the term 'star walk' was the actual name for that style of race walking".

Damon, I did too!!!! My friends and I used to "go starwalking" (didn't last for more than a couple of days tho') ;)

Albert Parr- One of the greatest walkers and rider I might add of Sheffield. He won the Grimesthorpe Walk every year (unofficially of course)

He was mentally retarded but really enjoyed the event. Every year he was scrubbed up, dressed and encouraged to participate.

After accepting car lifts to get to the front of the other walkers he always won and was rewarded with a special cup and a prize which pleased him no end.

If such a thing was done today people would cry it down as something wrong but in those days he was included and I think it was a marvellous thing for somebody to give him a boost when he was so handicapped.

Originally posted by Guest

Does anyone remember the Star Walk and a guy called Albert Parr I remeber in late 50's early 60's this guy very popular with my dads generation who ended up getting a lift part of the way round i used to watch from outside the Beer off on Page Hall rd.

albert parr lived grimethorpe it wasent

the star walk it was grimesthorpe feast walk

starts athe victoria pub up firth park road up sicey avenue

round shire green down bellhouse road back to the pub

he got on the tram to firth park

The Grimesthorpe Feast was quite a popular event in the 50,s and 60,s with the walk one of the highlights,and first man home was always Albert Parr (with the assistance of a lift) ,he was known as the "Black Night",i remember one chap trying to fasten his Race No on with drawing pins

we use to stand at corners of hartley brook and barnsley road

and watch star walk.

my mum's got a very old picture of crowd stood there must be from 40s.

My dad grew up in Page Hall and told us stories of Albert Parr, I have seen a picture of him. I always thought my dad was making these stories up about him getting a lift during the star walk.