Should we bring the death penalty back?

Should we bring the Death Penalty back  

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should we bring the Death Penalty back

• Yes
    • No

I voted no without hesitation.

Where's the logic in killing someone to show that killing someone is wrong?

And stats in the US show that black people who kill white people are sentenced to death in a hugely disproportionate amount to white people who kill black people.

The prejudices which pervade society (particularly white rich society which most judges are from) are all too well represented in who is killed by the state.

Inrterestingly, the US is one of only two countries in the whole world who still execute children.

A difficult one really, I voted yes.

I rozzer voting for the death penalty. Wouldn't you get fired for having such an opinion in the force?

removed by spook

But you've put it on a public worldwide forum. Hence no more thoughts required. You've written your opinion in plain english!

And, I've quoted you:

Originally posted by spook1210

A difficult one really, I voted yes.

removed by spook

Originally posted by spook1210

yes and your point is?

i speak as an individual not a representative of any Police Force.

It's the sort of subject that crops up in the pub isn't it and everyone talks about it.

I'm not an avowed member of the 'eye for an eye' brigade and I am open to constructive argument from either camp, I merely voted on my gut instinct which is to bring the death penalty back as a deterrent for the most serious crimes. However which crimes fall into that category is a moot point really. I've had a conversation with a murderer who I would quite happily have gone for a pint with he was that sort of bloke, and I've met another who I had a degree of sympathy with, but at the the end of the day they still killed people.

Have the distinct feeling I may shortly require a bigger spade :o

Hey I'm not disagreeing with you. Just asking a question! :P

I think it is worth looking at whether the death penalty actually is a deterrent. Intuitively it would be, but from what I've read, it seems not - although these have been partisan reports (Liberty, Amnesty etc.)

Would the death penalty be a deterrent?

Look at the states. Is it a detterent over there?

I dont think it is you know. That country has the most serial killers, murders anywhere. Ok it's a lot bigger country so relatively speaking it would do. But still they have the death penatly and I dont see it as much of a detterent.

But then, maybe thats because they have laws like, if someone is on your property univited you can shoot them.

Hanging is not a deterrent because, get this, murderers do NOT INTEND being caught when they commit their murder

Likewise any other crime;

According to my Mum the former Probation Officer,

the criminal either

a. thinks they are smart and will get away with it.

b. did it in a moment of passion/rage etc and didnt even know what they were doing

c. are so desperate that being caught is the last of their worries

At one time I would have voted yes to this but now I find it a difficult decision to which I think I would vote No but I am willing to listen to both sides.

For quite a while now I have been occasionally taking a look at the 'Texas correction centre' website.

It gives names, ages, ethnic origin, dates of offences, the length of time they have been incarcerated, details of offences and photo's of all those on death row. You can also view details of those previously executed, this includes all of the above information + last meal request info.

At this time, in Texas alone, there are several hundred awaiting execution.

One thing that strikes me is the same old faces are there month in month out. Year in year out. Nothing changes. Except the new additions.

Personally, I think that alone is punishment enough, when they are killed, it is over for them, done and dusted.

I now feel that those who advocate the death penalty are making it easy for them, life inside is a worse fate. Yes? Although I accept that some people can cope with doing time.

I contacted them once (they are very forthcoming with polite info) I wanted to know how much money those on death row were allowed to live on.

It works thus;- If, on the outside, they have someone with the means of giving them some monetary support, they may do so. The money is held for the prisoner in a 'Fund' to be drawn on by application and what the inmate wants to purchase from the in prison facility.

What they can purchase is limited to prison regulations.

If they have no-one on the outside, then they get prison food and lodging, nothing else.

If it is wrong to kill, punishable by a court of law, then it cannot be right for that same court to sanction a killing or execution.

A thought - if a judge decides on the death penalty, which the executioner carries out, is that conspiracy to commit murder?